headlight conversion issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 04:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
headlight conversion issues

i did the conversion to the 06 harley headlights on my e99 about 3 years ago, and used the splice in harness that came with the lights (didn't know there was an adapter) so now, i don't have the stock 9007 end to use the adapter, and i'm haveing issues with the cheap peice of crap splice in pigtail that was supplied.. what do you guys think is the best route? go find a 6.0 and rob the headlight harness and splice it in? or get a 7.3 harness and order the adapter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You didn't let us know what problems you're having--but if it is the splice end of the pigtail, can you just replace the splice with a new crimp splice? If it is the other end of the pigtails, can you go to a dealership and buy the stock 2006 pigtails and use good quality butt splices with some dielectric grease?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

I would/did go cut the harness from an 05 truck then you have quality wire and connectors.
No butt splices either that's not good enough IMO especially for lights when every bit of juice counts. Solder and shrink wrap is the way to go. Then tape everything up all pretty and never worry about it again
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sorry bout that.. two of the contacts were burnt inside the plug on the cheap one, so i went to the dealership and bought a pigtail for 05.. swiped my card before i realized they had charged me 60 bucks... lol.. soo next time i'll go to the junk yard..
Old 11-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
I would/did go cut the harness from an 05 truck then you have quality wire and connectors.
No butt splices either that's not good enough IMO especially for lights when every bit of juice counts. Solder and shrink wrap is the way to go. Then tape everything up all pretty and never worry about it again
I use butt splices all the time...

Quality is where its at...

The Butt splices I use are crimp, solder and shrink wrap all in one. Strip your wire, crimp them on, heat until the shrink wrap is sealed and the solder melted... The wire fails before the connector does.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
I use butt splices all the time...

Quality is where its at...

The Butt splices I use are crimp, solder and shrink wrap all in one. Strip your wire, crimp them on, heat until the shrink wrap is sealed and the solder melted... The wire fails before the connector does.
True. I would just as soon twist and solder though. I like to visually inspect my work before covering, but...old habits and all of that. If you've had good experiences with those connectors, then I have no experience with them, so I won't say one way or the other.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
True. I would just as soon twist and solder though. I like to visually inspect my work before covering, but...old habits and all of that. If you've had good experiences with those connectors, then I have no experience with them, so I won't say one way or the other.
A true solder connection is great, but these connectors flat rock.

I've installed countless gauge systems with them, done major repairs to wire harnesses...

Never a single issue in 8+ years.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

For interior stuff I use butt splices or even those self stripping splice connections, especially in area's where soldering isn't practical. Something like lights, or speakers where a connection that's not 100% perfect makes a big difference I'll always choose solder if that's an option.

Also looks a lot more professional and clean looking, aside from where the stuff looks newer, my headlight harness is almost impossible to tell it was modified. I know I would be pissed if I had a stereo installed and found a bunch of butt connectors and ****ty sound.

Stuff like gauges and all that of course connectors are the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.