Buying a 99 7.3 f250 - Things to watch out for? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying a 99 7.3 f250 - Things to watch out for?

Hello,

My name is Keegan. I am possibly going to be buying an early 2000s 7.3 diesel within the next month. There are a few I am looking at, but the one I am most interested in is a 99 4x4 with 140000 miles. It is in fairly good condition, and has had a recent tranny rebuild. It also has a 4" turbo back exhaust, a K&N air filter (which I will probably replace with an AIS), and a 6" lift w/ 38" tires. I would like to know if there are any specific things to look out for before I buy the truck. The guy selling it said that it wanders a little on the road, which means it could either just need an alignment, or ball joints could be going bad, in which case I may either pass on it or replace the ball joints myself. Also, he said that the lift has been on for over 4 years, which makes me a little worried about U-joint seals. The truck is only $8000, which I think is a pretty good deal. There is minimal rust, just some along the bottom of the cab. What thoughts do you guys have on this? Should I buy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 05:51 AM

Beyond the obvious driveline issues that you could try and narrow down a little the one thing I wish I had after I bought mine and started wrenching on it was something like Autoenginuity to run some tests and scans. You could either borrow someones if they are willing and near you or if you are for sure planning on getting one post 96 and will do the work yourself then maybe consider adding that "tool" to your arsenal. Does the guy have maint. records that he can show you as that is always a major consideration for me? Does it smoke? Does it start good when cold? Etc. Around here that price is way low from what I saw the months I shopped could be a great deal or could be dumping more problems then what you see.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thee have been a few trucks in my area lately with low prices like this. Thanks for the link to that other page, that is really helpful. I texted the guy again today, he said the ball joints are good, of course I won't know until I see the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.