Looking to possibly buy 7.3L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to possibly buy 7.3L

Hello,

I currently drive 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L v6 access cab 4x2 with 162k miles, it is my work truck and I tow 14' two axle open trailer with it every day. I work for a GC and I transport, material & tools with the trailer every day. The Tacoma gets 12mpg with that trailer and has almost no power, the 4.0L v6 is not great for towing.

The Tacoma is a good truck, it has not given me any issues besides regular maintenance, towing i go through set of front brake pads every 10months or sooner. I also broke a set of leaf springs from over loading the truck. Those were stock leafs with add a leaf.

My biggest issue with the Tacoma is gas mileage, not enough power & not enough room. I have access cab and nobody over 8-10 years old can sit in the back seat comfortable.

I am possibly looking to get a F250 with the 7.3L, double cab & 4x4. The ones I am finding have 150k-200k miles. My questions are;

1, what issues am I going to encounter with that high of miles?

2, what is the real world gas mileage of the 7.3L?

3, would it be smart to trade the tacoma for the ford

Let me know your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it all depends on maintenance.

if the truck is well maintained the main parts such as the engine and transmission should be good to go.

150-200k might need new ball joints and tie rods.
some sensors might need replacing, possibly glow plugs, relays.
but all the parts can be had for relatively cheap and you can easily do everything yourself.

I get between 14-15 mpg. my dad gets about 16 on avg.
some people get a little higher.

you will get between 11-13 mpg towing, and have plenty of power to drag whatever you want behind you.

and if you don't want to keep it stock, gauges intake exhaust chip are the way to have a reliable truck with plenty of power.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

1, what issues am I going to encounter with that high of miles? 150k-200k miles on a 7.3l diesel is the equivalent to 50-100k miles on that yote. These powerstrokes usually have a minimal lifespan of 400k, can go a million miles if it's been maintained. Be patient and look for a bone stock one from an old man, if you can.

2, what is the real world gas mileage of the 7.3L? Mine has quite a few mods, I get 17-22mpg on the highway. I can get as low as 13mpg if I am really driving it like a bat outta hell or towing.

3, would it be smart to trade the tacoma for the ford. Comparing apples to oranges here buddy. a 7.3l is a hell of a lot more truck than any toyota could ever dream of being. That is saying it nicely as possible.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just picked up a 01 7.3 with 225k manically it's sound body is a little rusty it's stock other than a 3.5 exhaust. It needs upper/lower ball joints getting them and a zone leveling kit,ailment, oil,trans,transfer case, front/rear diff oils all changed as well, I get 18 mpg on the highway and getting 16 mpg around town. Wana get a chip for it that's bout it so I can get a little better mpg and power when I'm taking the race car to the track in the trailer
Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Agreed with above statement- keep an eye out for an old man selling his truck. I just got my 7.3L in my signature for just under $10k with 98k miles 1 owner grandpa.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 PM

why did you go to a 7.3 from a 6.4?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdawg8394 View Post
why did you go to a 7.3 from a 6.4?
I'll just copy and past what I posted in a other thread somebody debating between a 7.3 and a 6.4...

I loved my 08, it was a good truck. Like mentioned before, I realized with my work getting slow, and with all the extra finances to own a house, I needed a 7.3 two wheel drive for ease of workability and cheaper parts vs a 6.4. I had over $7500 in warranty work done and if I didn't have a warranty I would've been forced to sell the truck as is. But that's just my situation. If I had some decent Money's set aside I would've kept that truck bc it was a bad mf'in truck and I loved it. But in my situation it was better for me and my family to get out of the payment and the possibility of having a huge repair bill that we couldn't handle.

IMO- it's an easy decision to make by looking at your finances:
Do you have a truck fund set aside to repair it when a catastrophic event happens? If yes then he'll yeah go 6.4 if no then go another route. I'm not saying a 7.3 will never have catastrophic failures, but the 7.3 has a pretty damn good track record of not having the failures of a 6.4 and we all know that's true.

There ain't a day that goes by when I get on the throttle in my 7.3 and I think "damn, my old 6.4 would smoke this ol 7.3 slug!" But I'm content in my ol 7.3 given my situation.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 PM

All of the above are on the money. As long as maintenance has been done 150-200k is not too much for these motors. I bought mine with 246k but I have every record since it was bought new in 98, as it was a one owner.

I average about 18-20mpg 50/50 hwy/city unloaded with a 6speed and about 15-17 when I'm pulling my 18' trailer and jeep around mainly highway. As long as you keep your foot out of it, easier said than done, they aren't bad.

-Jeremy
Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
I'll just copy and past what I posted in a other thread somebody debating between a 7.3 and a 6.4...

I loved my 08, it was a good truck. Like mentioned before, I realized with my work getting slow, and with all the extra finances to own a house, I needed a 7.3 two wheel drive for ease of workability and cheaper parts vs a 6.4. I had over $7500 in warranty work done and if I didn't have a warranty I would've been forced to sell the truck as is. But that's just my situation. If I had some decent Money's set aside I would've kept that truck bc it was a bad mf'in truck and I loved it. But in my situation it was better for me and my family to get out of the payment and the possibility of having a huge repair bill that we couldn't handle.

IMO- it's an easy decision to make by looking at your finances:
Do you have a truck fund set aside to repair it when a catastrophic event happens? If yes then he'll yeah go 6.4 if no then go another route. I'm not saying a 7.3 will never have catastrophic failures, but the 7.3 has a pretty damn good track record of not having the failures of a 6.4 and we all know that's true.

There ain't a day that goes by when I get on the throttle in my 7.3 and I think "damn, my old 6.4 would smoke this ol 7.3 slug!" But I'm content in my ol 7.3 given my situation.

I cant blame you one bit. I am actually about to begin a new savings fund for a 7.3 i believe... I want a newer work truck (88 f250 is a bit old and slow) that pulls and looks better. also want a diesel that I can do some of the mods to myself. and finally i want the 7.3 just for the motor. sounds great, drives great, NO EMISSIONS, and reliability.

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for your 7.3? im hoping i can get a 99-03 for around 8k. and hopefully under 300,000 miles. Doesnt have to be in great condition... i could use a little project.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

I believe I got lucky... I found my 2000 7.3 with 98k miles, 1 owner at a dang Volkswagon dealership for $9200. The owner had every single receipt for maintenance and it was all done at a ford dealership, even the original window sticker was still in there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.