AE just showed up where to go what to check first and what to expect - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AE just showed up where to go what to check first and what to expect

I just got in my AE and a computer to run with it (apple computer fan) and am curious if there is a good tutorial on use somewhere or just dive into the manual instead?

I am also curious which tests one should run first and should I expect a few codes right off the bat or if things are kosher should it be a clean slate?

Really just wondering the next step here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, I think (from reading some recent negative comments on the AE Forum here) you should realize what it is (a Tool, A really Good Tool, but a tool just the same) and maybe lower your expectations some....

We talk so much, recommend so much, the AE that there are those who think it's Fonzy in a box. They're going to be a Ford Master Mechanic now. Then, because they don't have a thorough understanding of how the various components actually work and all interact, become disappointed with their new purchase (I know I'm ranting a bit, but I recommend this tool all the time and feel like I may have led some of the inexperienced "down the garden path" somewhat )

You're not going to connect it and have it say "Good morning Mr. Phelps, you seem to have a poor connection in the left side UVCH connector and I don't think your batteries are going to get you through the Winter"

Here's what it Does do. Give you access to All the sensors, the Body, Nav, Trans, Pats Security, Driveline modules (if you have them), Reprogram some stuff in those modules, and run Diagnostic Tests that Ford built-in to the system. BUT, it's still up to You to know what it is it's telling you. You're the one who often has to follow where it "points" you and figure-out what's going wrong. There are many times where it can't help you because there are many places that don't have sensors reporting (fuel & engine oil pressure) and it just doesn't "see" them.

So, if everything's running right, I would start with Reading all codes, maybe write them down, and Clear All Codes. See what comes back. When I first got mine I had connection problems and found I had to change the configuration from OBD-II to SAE J1850 PWM (not sure if the latest sw/fw has made that unnecessary, I just took advantage of their UpGrade/Amnesty offer and sent my stuff back in) but it was confusing at first.

There's LOTS of info on how to use it, and a bunch for us in particular. Read the AE Forum here -> AutoEnginuity Tips or Tricks

This guy is a Wealth of good info -> https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt.../autoenginuity

Another good site -> AutoEnginuity® Diagnostic Software - Power Hungry Performance Forum

Good General info on YouTube -> AutoEnginuity - YouTube

It's All up to you, it's a Learning experience, but if you are willing to work with it some it will become invaluable!

Good Luck with your new tool and the wealth of understanding it can give you
Old 10-21-2013, 07:37 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NoRalph, you mistake me...I changed my glowplugs over the weekend so I am already a Ford Master Mechanic.....just kidding. That is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the time you took to post the links. Just like most things it seems a little daunting right now looking at the manual and reading a couple posts however I will take it in baby steps.

Curious if during the setup and KOEO tests how long you can leave the key in that position before causing any harm or is it a non issue other then running the batteries a little lower then before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.