Crazy trans temperatures - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crazy trans temperatures

Hey everybody I'm looking for some advice here...I was driving the other day and my trans was at 130 for the entire drive on the highway at 75 and the next time I check my trans gauge I was off the highway and driving through town and the temperature registered at a steady 180 which is pretty high for no towing and the ambient temperature only being in the 50's....Next I drive it to the store last night and the gauge is sitting on 100 because the trans is warming up. I drive no more than 3 miles and the pointer on the gauge jumps to 140 then back to 100 and then jumps around 140-110 with fluttering movements. After 10 minutes in the store I drive home and when I turn my truck on the temp registers 140 steady after only driving 4 miles to the store and letting it sit. When I begin to drive in the next 1/2 mile the temp steadily rises to 150 and from there jumps to 180 then to 210...then back down to 160 then all the way to 250. It kept jumping around and even when sitting still the gauge would flutter 30-50 degrees. I noticed no difference in shifts or anything so I'm wondering if its the ISSPRO gauge or my trans is on its way out. Any help would be great thanks everyone!! All of the jumping around happened while driving conservatively at 30-35 and not accelerating hard at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm guessing you have a temperature probe in the side of your tranny. Mine fell apart on me one time and decided not to use those anymore. I invested in an edge insight cts to use as my gauges. Only analog gauge I have now is for boost, and that's because I have a boost fooler installed
Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Mine has done the same thing for years. I have tried finding where my issue may be but can not find anything, though i am not very good when it comes to wiring. It doesn't bother me anymore, as i know it's impossible for the temps to jump around like that. It's either wiring or the sensor itself. I tow nothing with mine and the needle jumping around doesn't happen often to me.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 AM

Yes I have the temperature probe in the side port in the transmission. I have loved it so far and this has never happened before...should I just replace the probe? Or the whole gauge?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:52 AM

yeah I am not very good with wiring at all but I may look into the connections
Old 10-20-2013, 08:38 AM

My bet is on wiring or a bad probe. Unless it's a Glowshift. Then it's probably the gauge.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:05 AM

Okay thank you guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.