I broke something and I need some advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I broke something and I need some advice

well i was on the freeway last night and got on the gas a bit got up to around 18 pounds of boost when my problem happened. I had glanced back and saw the black smoke we put out when on the throttle but the smoke didnt stop. I realized after a few seconds I had a dead gas pedal and no boost. still smoking. well i pulled off the freeway and when i got stopped and got out I had oil all under the truck. I opened the hood and you can see by the pic below what i found. I have oil everywhere. I did crank it to see if it would restart and it would not but not hearing clanking like a rod broke. Dont think anything internal broke. No oil coming out the tail pipe also. Oil was dripping from the hood liner. Due to the amount of oil I tend to believe it has something to do with the High pressure oil lines but really do not know where to start.

I used simple green and cleaned the engine compartment back up. I checked the two hpop lines and didnt see anything wrong with them. I disconnect one side and put air to it and no leaks. I took a pic of the oil cross over and it looks ok but of course the damage could be on the down side you would think there would be a sign you could see in the pic of the crossover line.

So given the amount of oil where do you think the failure happened and where would you start?

When a HPOP goes how does it go?

when a turbo goes how does it go?
Attached Thumbnails
I broke something and I need some advice-crossover.jpg  

Last edited by hotairgypsy; 10-19-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 12:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
clean off the engine bay and inspect the lines. also the turbo is easy to get off. so if the lines arent the issue yank the turbo and look at it.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:32 PM

here is a pic of it right after it happened and just got done cleaning it so before and after...simple great is some cool stuff
Attached Thumbnails
I broke something and I need some advice-oil.jpg   I broke something and I need some advice-cleanofoil.jpg  

Last edited by hotairgypsy; 10-19-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:00 AM

when a turbo goes, in my case, was a thick cloud of WHITE smoke. I think your hpop or lines went.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
when a turbo goes, in my case, was a thick cloud of WHITE smoke. I think your hpop or lines went.
i pulled the air filter just so i could check and see if the compressor wheel was locked up and it spun freely. I am not seeing anything obvious so I think my plan of attack is to do an oil change and top off the oil. Once I do that i am going to have the other half crank it while I am under the hood and see if and where it leaks from. I am hoping to minimize the oil loss hence not waste to much oil. I was due for an oil change so if I just top off now that is just wasted oil. I really do not like the idea of being under hood to see where the oil comes out of but I am thinking that is the only way i can figure this out. There was oil everywhere so no tell tell sign of a hint to know where to start.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
maybe a feed or drain line broke for the turbo..
Old 10-20-2013, 12:35 PM

I just changed the oil filter and put in around 3.5 gallons of rotella T...Nothing poured out naturally so i started to crank on it. I did three cycles on it and I started to hear the starter slow down so i stopped so i could charge the batteries back up. I know it will take some cranking to get the air out of the oil system. While cranking on the this go around I didnt see any oil shooting out of anywhere so I assume lots of air in system.will try again in an hour or so after the batteries charge back up.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
maybe a feed or drain line broke for the turbo..

OP...check the "checkvalve" plug, located on d/s to the right, of the hpop. You'll see a 3/8 sq. hole that an extention can use to remove it. Mayyybbbeee the leaks' there.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Did you check to make sure the icp sensor didn't blow out? Happened to another member here on the org.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belz View Post
Did you check to make sure the icp sensor didn't blow out? Happened to another member here on the org.

checked the ICP and it is still plugged in and seems to be fully intact. dont notice any damage to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.