7.3L or 5.9? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 10:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L or 5.9?

I was talking to a buddy and his motor went out on his 6.0. He just finished replacing it with a Cummings 5.9 out of an 05 dodge. It made me think what would I do if my motor went out on my 2002 f350 cc, SB, drw. The truck is only used for towing my big toy hauler 15k lbs.

I only see two options,

1st a high quality rebuild with forged rods and other upgraded parts on my 7.3, truth is I really don't know much about what internal motor upgrades other then injectors and rods. Any one know a ball park price on a nice rebuild.

2nd put in a 5.9 Cummings with a manual. My buddy got his out of a truck with 60k miles, motor, trans, tcase, computer for 4000 dollars. He did all the labor.

I really like the 5.9 but dislike dodge trucks. My 7.3 has been good and I would like the factory finish as in no custom piecing together a truck as in my buddy's case.

What would you all do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It depends on what your goals are. If your just running a basic tune or even mild injectors then there is nothing wrong with a stock PMR motor. If your planning on going for extreme power levels then the 5.9 would be a easier build. It also depends on what parts you can reuse. If you have already invested in injectors, oil, turbo, etc. for the 7.3 and just the bottom end goes out then find another 7.3.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i went with the 12v because i was getting tired of all the electrical problems i've been having with my 2001. like JSchuricht said It depends on what your goals are. i wanted something that was easy to work on and did not need a computer.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have had a couple 12 valves and like them. I also like the vp44 24valve mostly for 3cylinder high idle. I have been thinking the same thing if I was going to replace my 7.3 it would be with an 02 24 valve cummins.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:09 AM

Id just stick with the 7.3. Find a used motor fro an older truck to get forged rods and save a ton of money.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The simplicity of a mechanically injected cummins is unbeatable.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:55 AM

I have been thinking of the same thing, my 7.3 is healthy (knock on wood) at 185,xxx miles but I figure I will keep my eye out for a 12v. If I can find a good deal on a 12v and slowly build it I figure why the hell not. I would assume the 7.3 will last longer then I need to get the 12v ready.

My worry is how the reliable the transplant will be. I don't want a race truck, just a reliable decent HP summer (no salt) truck.

Are the 12v swaps reliable enough to trust? I know tons of people have done it now so I figure the destroked swap components are good to go.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:09 AM
Bird is the Word

Just find another 7.3 motor. Buzz test it. Have it rebiuilt if necessary. Drop it in and drive.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Look at
http://blackwaterengines.com/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Thank you for the link, those prices seem to be good. Maybe they are high and I am just uneducated.

So after giving this more thought, I now have a few more questions. To help with these questions I will give more of a back ground. Many people stated it depends on your goals witch I completely agree with.

My goals would to have a rock solid tow rig. One that you don't have to worry about what your hooking up to. Now with that said I am talking about trailers and every day work. Not sled pulls or drag racing. Just good old utility work. My toy huller is about 15K fully loaded, but is most of the time around 13K.

So these are my new questions, If you went with a 5.9, witch one and why? How quality is the finished product? My friends 5.9 conversion functions perfectly but his dash is all torn up, he has two different keys to the truck, wires every where. Now I know that may just be him because he does not seem to care much that its not super clean looking. But to me that's a big deal.

If I kept the 7.3L for the factory finish, what tow rig build would be different then a bone stock build? My guess is forged rods, bigger pistons, bigger injectors, Better head studs. Maybe valve springs and crank work? Like I said, I really don't know much about motor builds just bolt on performance.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.