Is It worth it?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Is It worth it??

I know this is a powerstroke site but I came across what I think is a good deal. I will be keeping the PSD but I found a 2001 Dodge SLT 24Valve Cummins. The truck has 97xxx miles on it, brand new tires, and is spotless except for a few scratches. Truck is super clean. The asking price is 9800. What do yall think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
block castings I think check to see if it has a 53 stamped on it.I don't think it is an issue that year but might.The block will crack at around the 100k mark.I Also think that there is the Killer dowl pin mod that needs to be done or will crack the front cover.Ask if the lift pump has been replaced.You should go aftermarket immediatly if you buy it.The fuel pumps are weak and take out the VP44 1300 repair.Other than that that is a darn good deal IMHO.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:03 PM
***mins Sell-out

Send a message via AIM to Chewbacca Send a message via Skype™ to Chewbacca
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers View Post
block castings I think check to see if it has a 53 stamped on it.I don't think it is an issue that year but might.The block will crack at around the 100k mark.I Also think that there is the Killer dowl pin mod that needs to be done or will crack the front cover.Ask if the lift pump has been replaced.You should go aftermarket immediatly if you buy it.The fuel pumps are weak and take out the VP44 1300 repair.Other than that that is a darn good deal IMHO.

Crack around the 100k mark huh? Wow, you're a true CTD expert. I know lots of 53 block trucks running 400+ whp with well over 150k on them. It's more likely to crack around the 180-250k mark, but not a guarantee.

The "KDP" is only for 12 valve trucks, so anything past a '98.5 (24v VP44 truck) doesn't need to worry about that.

As for the fuel system, just get a FASS, and be done.

I'd jump on it. Just remember, the factory auto trans are WEAK. You get any sort of power running thru it, and it'll nuke its self real quick.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think you can probably do better, I just bought an 01 F250 crew cab short bed last weekend for $6200, of course it has more miles on it, 173,000 and one dent above the right rear wheel. In the last 2 weeks before buying the F250 I also looked at another 01 F250 ext cab, with auto trans and 117,000 miles asking price $9,800 (still on the lot for sale as of Friday), and a 04 Dodge 3500 with 109,000 for $12,500 (I passed on the Dodge because it was an early 04, with the 03 engine, not the upgraded 04-05 5.9)
Old 07-12-2008, 07:46 PM

BUY IT!!

A 24v with a hot chip, injectors, turbo, air dog and a built tranny will put a smile on your face.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 AM

I really like the PSD's but Ive been looking around here and I can't find much of anything that hits close to the miles vs. price that the dodge does. I knew the trannys were weak. I drove it and it still shifted GREAT. The truck did ride a little bit rougher though...
Old 07-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSTROKER1 View Post
BUY IT!!

A 24v with a hot chip, injectors, turbo, air dog and a built tranny will put a smile on your face.
What about turbo, injectors, chip, fass and a tranny in a PSD. Wont that put a smile on your face just the same?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern7.3 View Post
I really like the PSD's but Ive been looking around here and I can't find much of anything that hits close to the miles vs. price that the dodge does. I knew the trannys were weak. I drove it and it still shifted GREAT. The truck did ride a little bit rougher though...
We won't talk to ever again, Sam!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 AM

Thats real nice of ya HANK!! Lol. I decided last night im sticking with the PSD and Isaac-1 said he found a psd for only 9800 so there is hope. Just gotta look.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBLUE View Post
What about turbo, injectors, chip, fass and a tranny in a PSD. Wont that put a smile on your face just the same?
Yea it would but my truck has of today 264664 miles on it with 200 thousand of them miles unknown to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.