Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Battery cable to starter gauge

10K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  usteffenhagen 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm at the napa figuring some stuff out. Everyone keeps saying the gauge of wire from my batt to starter is 4ga. But mines looking like 1ga. Anyone know which it is?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Most likely 4 Gauge unless its been replaced previously. 1 Gauge is huge and unnecessary.

#3 · (Edited)
I highly doubt it's 1/0 gauge, unless someone upgraded it before you got the truck. If your the original owner then I would say it just looks like 1/0 gauge due to insulation and protective conduit on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
I cut back the insulation and its still thick. A diesel tech at the stealership said its big. Couldn't tell me exactly but he figured 0 or around there. I compared it to a 4ga I bought and it was definitely bigger

#5 ·
With how much current runs through there, you guys really think it'd be 4?

#7 ·
I can put some calipers on mine when I get home. I put copper lugs on my leads 6 months ago & can't remember how big the wire is from the battery to starter is.

#8 ·
Sounds good thanks.
I'm not able to take the time to Google it right now

#11 ·
Left is my starter cable, right is a 4ga cable I bought the other day thinking it was right

Attachments

#12 ·
End result. Didn't even think about a 90degree eyelet until it was too late....

Attachments

#14 ·
My eyelet is 0 so and I crimped it on there with a hammer and wrapped the heck out of it with electrically tape.. about to put it all back together let's see how it goes

#15 ·
That 4ga is not gonna be heavy enough it will heat up and melt insulation. I'd get some 3/0 wire and crimp the lug with a proper crimper. There is a high voltage self vulcanizing tape made by 3M that you can purchase at Home Depot that will withstand heat and last longer then plain electrical tape. Running too small a wire may cause your starter to fail prematurely (excessive wear on brushes and solenoid)

#16 ·
I crimped the original wire. I'll get the right kind of crimper early this week and thanks for the tip on the tape ill get some tomorrow. I just need something to hold me over for a few days because my wife and I both work and we only got 2 vehicles

#17 ·
Oh and why are ya'll referencing to it as "3/0" what is the "/0"?.. I haven't dealt with electrical in quite some time.

#18 ·
Oh and why are ya'll referencing to it as "3/0" what is the "/0"?.. 1/0 wire is 0awg wire 2/0 is 00awg and so on up to 4/0. So 3/0 would be pronounce three aught wire. Hope this helps.

#20 ·
Got the starter all hooked up, started the truck and the starter motor kept going. It didn't stop until I disconnected the battery. Could it be my solenoid and the circuit staiyng stuck in "start"?

#21 ·
Just went out again to hook up batteries, starter motor started to run without keys in ignition, disconnected batteries again, tapped solenoid 3 or 4 times with my wrench, connected batteries, starter motor didn't crank until I started truck and the starter motor didn't crank once truck started. I turned the truck off and on 2 times and it worked fiine :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.