Body mounts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Body mounts

I have a 1999.5 F350 and love my truck...life is good! I have a Predator tuner, 4 inch exhaust and Air Raid intake. I tow a 40 ft. toyhauler weighing in at 15,500 and it does well.

I have noticed a bump or thump under the truck and thought it was the front end loose or a worn out part in the front end. Today I had the truck aligned and the mechanic told me all was well with the front end parts.

I put new Bilstein shocks on all corners which smoothed the ride tremendously, but I still have a thump or bump under the truck when I hit bumps.

I am guessing it could be a body mount bushing since I have found one that seems loose or worn. Does this seem like a possible source of such a noise or feel in the body or chassis?

Thanks...is this normal repairs needed to the F350 to keep the ride smooth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check your sway bar end links to see if they are tight. I had the same thing happen to me so I took them all apart, soaked them in red loctite, and cranked them on. Havn't had any noises since.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to blizzardwarrior7
Yup, sway bar endlinks....Try removing your sway bar and hitting some bumps with it off....If it doesnt thump anymore, its your endlinks...Do you feel the bumping under your left foot when driving? If so its very likely this is your problem.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes to bumping under left foot!

You know exactly what I am talking about! You feel it under your left foot on the driver's floorboard.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to rsecondchance1
Jack the front of the truck up one side at a time , tires off the ground about 2 inches. Slide a long bar under the tire and lift up and down, this works well eith two people, look at the ball joints while doing it. Then do the other side as well. I bet your front end man missed this small thing as been through it 2 times until I did it and found out that the right side was the worse worn side then the left but the sound and feel of the thump travels all over the truck. I even did the sway bar 1/2 inch bolt mod to at the same time. The right side ball joint was so bad it rattled in your hands when you shake it. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsecondchance1 View Post
Jack the front of the truck up one side at a time , tires off the ground about 2 inches. Slide a long bar under the tire and lift up and down, this works well eith two people, look at the ball joints while doing it. Then do the other side as well. I bet your front end man missed this small thing as been through it 2 times until I did it and found out that the right side was the worse worn side then the left but the sound and feel of the thump travels all over the truck. I even did the sway bar 1/2 inch bolt mod to at the same time. The right side ball joint was so bad it rattled in your hands when you shake it. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Thanks for the info on the ball joints, I was seriously thinking about going back to my front end shop and get them to check it all out again. I am like you, believe it could be ball joints or sway bars that he missed.

It really is nothing major, but when you know your truck, you know something doesn't feel right!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still have not found the elusive culprit, but gonna change the stabilizer links since the bushings look worn. Hopefully that will end the noise I have heard since I got the truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.