Prodigy question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Prodigy question?

I know this should be in the towing section but I need help ASAP. I picked up a rental horse trailer this afternoon to pick up the girlfriends new horse tomorrow morning. I hooked my Prodigy P3 brake controller up and all was well until we got down the road a ways. The unit flashes from the normal voltage screen to the "Trailer Disconnected" screen as I am driving. It is pretty intermittent and there is no set pattern to it. I thought it was due to the bumps in the road but I couldn't verify that as being the sole source of the problem either. I did notice a white wire dangling back by one of the wheels but until I get the tire off I can't tell where it goes. Does anyone know of some other cause to this problem that I can check when I get the tire off?

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have a bad ground. Since it's a rental trailer, I would suspect the trailer. If there is a white wire hanging down, that may be your problem.

Can you call the rental place to see what they say? If you have the time, I'd have them fix it.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

We have no time for the rental company to fix it for us unfortunately. I to thought it might be a ground issue and I suspected that every bump I hit was making the unit act up so I thought it would be a ground too. My first thought was that the manufacturer was so cheap they were trying to use the ball and coupler to make a ground path for the trailer but that wasn't the case. I messed with it a bit more but was never able to pull the wheel off because it got dark and storms were coming.

I am really suspecting that my problem might be in the pigtail that plugs into the trailer wiring plug that the factory supplied at the back of the truck. Does anyone have a part number for those pigtails? I believe this pigtail is the one that was in the glove box in the truck if the truck came from the factory with the trailer prep package. If someone had a part number or new of a place that sells them other than a dealer that would be great.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had the same problem on my durango. But it was alomost like the plug was loose maybe? I would puch it in a bit more and it would be fine. I haven't had the problem with my X though so I know it wasn't the Prodigy.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.