Tool inventory and checklist for changing glow plugs..check please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 08:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tool inventory and checklist for changing glow plugs..check please

I am trying to place my order today on all the parts needed for my upcoming glow plug change and want to make sure I am covering all I need here as I won't have the ability to get anything on the quick once I start and it needs to be done the same day. I was going to order a new gasket, wiring harness and 9 new glow plugs from riff raff diesel today.

1. Will I still have to do the 50 cent trick or will the new harness have a redesigned connector?
2. What torque setting on the plugs themselves..I have seen 14NM and 14foot pounds both, which is it.
3. Should I re-torque the injectors while in there and what do they go to?
4. Is my 3/8 drive older american made craftsman torque wrench good enough for this or should I buck up and get something different.
5. I have a decent and really quite complete set of the better older american socket sets and wrenches in 1/4 and 3/8 but specific items for the valve cover removal?
6. What torque setting on the valve covers?
7. What is the vacuum line I hear of for the final removal of the plugs, I have no idea what this is?
8. I got her plugged in right now and was going to head to the car wash and use their LOW pressure setting to gunk out the engine bay and try to get as clean as possible.
9. Any thing else that stands out or I should be changing while down there or tricks to get things done...I have never removed the valve covers before.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I believe you may get rearend chewed if you pressure wash your engine at the carwash. Depending on their drain system its a bad EPA fine. Just sayin.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 AM

Sweet, then Ill just head up to Rocky Mountain National park and wash it there
Old 10-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lol. And then there's that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the valve cover gaskets almost never leak. you should not need new gaskets.

pretty easy job, by yourself if youve never done it before id say hour and a half, two hours.

if you pressure wash your engine make sure you cover the alternator and the rest of the wiring/electrical components.
i always clean my engine at the carwash too it also says no mud they probably hate me.

you can use either a 13mm or 9/16 for the valve covers bolts, i know the 13mm works but cant remember the standard size.

the glow plugs themselves are 10mm deep socket, 1/4 inch drive is the only way to get them out.

then just plug the white wire back into them.

the easiest way to get them back bolt is to lay on top of the engine and just reach back their with the socket and loosen it, then just get it out the rest of the way by hand.
you can use shop air for most of the bolts with the proper extensions and sockets.

oh and theirs no vacuum line to remove.

i was disappointed when the international uvch i bought said made in china...
Old 10-13-2013, 11:21 AM

Yeah, I covered the alt, power steering cap and air filter and the car wash was ok with it plus had a low pressure setting that was just perfect. It actually states in the supplemental powerstroke manual to wash with anything under 1000 psi which it was not. She started just perfect and is a ton cleaner after the gunk soak. I am so meticulous when putting things together and taking apart to try and keep things clean that I sure it will help a ton.

The vacuum line I was refering to I had read about using was to take a short six to eight inch piece to use for the final removal of the glow plugs after they are backed almost all the way out.

My other craftsman ratchets are all in good shape but they never have made a good 1/4 inch one....would you go matco or snap on for a replacement. I sure hope my wife does not see the expenditures that I will make by the end of today
Old 10-13-2013, 11:24 AM

"i was disappointed when the international uvch i bought said made in china..."

That kind of crap drives me nuts as I am pretty hard core on buying American and am disgusted at all the things that are outsourced right now. I wrote a long letter to Craftsman a few months ago ranting and raving about their turncoat crap.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

for removing the glowplugs easily thats the vaccum line you've probably read about.

cut a piece of rubber hose/vaccum line/ washer fluid hose etc. about 6" long.

crack the glowplugs with your 10mm socket, but unless you has a super thinwall socket itll hang up on the rocker as you spin out the plug. So what you do, since the glowplugs should spin out really easily, is push the hose over the end of the plug as far as you can so it has some grip.... then just use your fingers to turn it out makes it super simple and better than me trying to jam my fat sausage fingers down in the hot engine.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Roger that, this is not by chance the same 6-8 inch 3/8 fuel hose piece that I just threw in my trash can that was leftover from putting an extension on the fuel bowl drain line is it?
Old 10-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i used thin, needle nosed pliers to grab the glow plugs and get them out.

and you do need a really thin 10 mm deep socket or it does get caught up. my dad experienced this i think on the #3 glow plug. (the glow plug next to the #3 injector)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.