Need AE diagnostic help - IDM or injector or UVCH - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need AE diagnostic help - IDM or injector or UVCH

Need some help with an AE diagnosis of an injector issue on my truck. As far as I know, injectors are original (253k), there is a LL in cylinder #8 and I have a blue CPS.

Hard start unplugged below 50 degs. In the previous few years I've replaced GPs and GPR with stancor.

When cold, it starts horribly and sounds like it has a miss for a few minutes then it warms and runs fine. I am pulling P0264 - Cyl #2 inj circuit low and P1274- Cyl #4 high to low side open. When it warms up, these codes go away. IR therm seems like drvr side is not warming like the pass side. SO thinking this pointed at the harnesses - I replaced UVCH and gasket on the driver side.

Still starts hard when cold.

Performed the IDM pin tests shown on the GB reman TB#103 http://www.gbreman.com/techbulletin_103.html- Test 1 results show all on left bank at 3.8, 3.2, 3.4, 3.8 and on the right bank 4.4, 5.1, 5.1, 20.5

Right bank power feed to Inj #7 Ground circuit shows 20.5 ohms, a much higher resistance - 20.5 ohms, between pins 24 and 20. The whole right side is higher than the test says all should be at b/w 2.8-3.6 ohms

Test 2 and Test 3 pass and are open.

I am replacing the harness and gasket on the passenger side, but am wondering if there is a way to confirm this isn't an injector issue with #7 while I have it opened up or a wiring issue between harness and IDM.

Thanks for the help,

Last edited by MtnOilRIG; 10-09-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

I'm not positive on how to tell more since I have always been lucky and havent had to diagnose that far into an injector problem.

I can tell you though that you can replace the UVCH and start the truck with the valve cover off. It'll be just fine, I would do that inside though.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks Schlutzer, will definitely start it prior to reinstalling everything.

I'm not smart enough to decipher this data, but I did some rotational velocity testing to see if I could tell which injector is acting up.

Cylinder 1 Cylinder 2 Cylinder 3 Cylinder 4 Cylinder 5 Cylinder 6 Cylinder 7 Cylinder 8
high ...0.2 .........6.1.........1.9..........0...........2.3 ..........0 ..........0.9 ..........18.8
med ...0 ..........0.05 ..........1............0..........1.45.........0.. ....... 0...........5.1
avg .....0.12......0.38........0.81.......0.00.......1 .12.......0.00........0.02.........3.74

Cylinder 2 would have higher % change right after pedal lift after a sustained 1500rpm hold for a few seconds. Thoughts.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Burning veggie...

Injector time my friend...
Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah yeah yeah - besides the obvious.

just making sure its not something else. I only have one new injector....where would you stick it? ahah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.