Just bought a 00 F250 w/ unkown mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just bought a 00 F250 w/ unkown mods

I just bought a 2000 model F250 XLT crew cab short bed today (don't even have it home yet, dealer service dept was closed for the holday weekend, so I will not be picking it up Monday or Tueday so they can do the prep work). I don't know a lot of details about this truck, and that is part of the reason I am posting here, I have a reasonable general knowledge of diesels engines, just not the Ford Powerstoke, or of Ford trucks in general (I have owned Chevy/Dodge trucks in the past, and currently have Ford cars). Now back to the truck, it has about 175,000 miles, appears in good cosmetic condition (exterior A-, Interior B some wear no, tears or sagging on the seats) After running an Auotocheck history report, I found this truck appears to have started life in NM, and has slowly worked its way east to Louisiana over the last 8 years and several owners. Googling the VIN I found some photos of this truck when it was up for sale about a year ago if anyone would like to take a look

ebay.carad.com/viewItem/viewAllPhotos.cfm?listing=9282678&template=48
(if I put this in as a clickable link something goes wrong and it forwards to a item not listed screen)
Since those photos were taken it appears someone has put new tires, and new batteries into the truck as well as I think install an aftermarket air filter box. (and added about 10,000 to the odometer). I would like your help finding the mods that may have been done to this truck, as should be obvious from the photo someone has added an aftermarket grill, and bug catcher, chrome door handles and trim don't look stock to me, now what else should I look for, and where should I look to find it (performance chip, etc?)

thanks
Ike

p.s. is there anyway to get a list of original factory equipment (gear ratios, etc.)from the VIN?

p.p.s. I did not get to spend as much time looking at the truck after test driving it as I would like before deciding to buy as it started raining and there was another interested party wanting to buy it if I did not, it was on sale for the Holiday weekend at $6,200

Last edited by Isaac-1; 07-05-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to blizzardwarrior7
Sorry bud, your link to the pics doesnt work.

Is the exhaust stock? Are there any guages on it? If not their probably isnt a chip installed. If you didnt get a programmer with it, then there isnt one. If it doesnt blow any black smoke if you floor it, its most likely still has the factory program on it.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The photo link should be fixed now. One more for everyone, how heavy of clutch do stock F250's have? My daily driver is a Mustang GT with a King Cobra clutch, and the clutch on this F250 I bought gave my leg a work out on the test drive.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the clutchs are stiff on these trucks.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:27 AM

from the photos it has stock intake, stock exhaust, no gauges. Has a trailer brake controller so its probably been used for its intended purpose. Theres a tag on the axle that tells the gear ratio. Does your truck have the dent/scratch in the bed still? You can probably go to the ford dealership and they can print you out what came with that truck.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Since the photos were taken last year, the intake box has been replaced with one that has a tinted see through lid, I did not get a look at the exhaust, but it sounded stock. Overall there were a few dings, no major scratches (maybe under the drop in liner, if so I will get a spray in), it started raining so I did not get to make as detailed of survey as I would have liked. The paint was in much better shape than I expected from a truck that spent most of its life in NM, and West Texas, may be garage kept. One thing from looking at the photos, is the spare tire tool missing? (It will be the first thing I check when I go to pick the truck up at the dealer after they do the prep work) If so does anyone know if the tool is the same as the early '90s F250 used (we have a dead one at work, that I could get the tool off of if so).

Ike
Old 07-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to blizzardwarrior7
Looks like it is missing, let me know when you get it, Ill send you the lug wrench, and the spare tool, although the actual key may not fit (there are 7 different keys I beleive).
Old 07-07-2008, 10:40 AM

Ahhhh... Love the blue interior... I have had two PSD's now with that color!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I picked up the truck today, first the good news, the spare tire tool was in the truck, now for the bad news, the jack is missing, but thats not the worst part, also the spare tire is missing too. The tires on the truck look brand new, they are an off brand tire though and are 265/75-16 according to tirerack stock tires were 255/70-16 so the speedometer may be off a little. We have a dead '92 F250 at work that I may be able to get a spare and jack from, so it is not all as bad as it sounds, I will just have to confirm that the rims will fit. I drove the truck about 70 miles today, mixed highway and city, and I am finding little issues as I go, loose window molding, occasional power steering pump noise, that sort of thing.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:13 PM
The Fat Mod

Sounds like a great price. I am sure once you get the little things fixed, it will be a fine truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.