Test and tune questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Test and tune questions

Ok so I want to turn up the power more then what I have now.My questions are:
1) Is there a way to test the HPOP to see if its up to specs(pressure range)
2) Test the fuel pressure to see if its up to specs
3) Any tuning up that should be done first
I know that my engine has the PMR rods and I am not wanting to excede the power that they can take but I am tired of these sh*tbox little cars and these gasser trucks that just pull from me all the time. I used to drag race and I know that my truck would be lucky to pull anything better then a 17.0 and I see some of the guys on here that have trucks running alot better the that. I know that my truck has more in it just with the mods I have now. Any suggestions on this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up go fast

well you dont have to much to play with.cause the pmr,i think you can get alittle more power out with custom tuning.and alittle bigger injectors may want to go with straght shots 160cc zoodad mod and afe intake.that should be safe and fun?

Last edited by outlawdiesel; 07-04-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Old 07-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

get a custom tuned chip, should put you in the low 15's. the superchips on the high setting should be high 15s or low-mid 16s. I ran a 16.4 with just a regular TS chip with 38" tires the first time out
Old 07-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnunya View Post
get a custom tuned chip, should put you in the low 15's. the superchips on the high setting should be high 15s or low-mid 16s. I ran a 16.4 with just a regular TS chip with 38" tires the first time out
I just dont think that my truck is running like it should.I think that there might be a problem with the HPOP or not enough fuel pressure. I was hopeing that someone might be able to tell me how to check and see that these are operating like they should be.I bet that a stock untouched truck would give a good run. What should I do to the truck before I try turning up the power any more. Any ideas or help would be great.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up fix psd

well why do you say your truck is not running right?do you have smoke?or is it real slugish?did you check your pick up tube in tank?so what is your truck doing?do you have a scan tool?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin hawaiian View Post
well why do you say your truck is not running right?do you have smoke?or is it real slugish?did you check your pick up tube in tank?so what is your truck doing?do you have a scan tool?
I just feels lazy like I am only giving it 3/4 throttle. No smoke and very little when I jump on it hard the boost gauge shows 22psi and the EGT's jump right up to 1100-1200 on hard throttle.No I havent checked the pick up tube and no I dont have a scan tool. I have never got a CEL/SES light and it works as it come on before I start the truck like it should. Just was thinking that the HPOP was getting weak or it doesnt have enough fuel pressure or maybe its getting air in the fuel system. I am just asking for some things that I can check out to make sure everything is working like they should be.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

Thumbs up fix psd

well you can get a high pressure gauge and put it on the oil rail and see how much pressure your hpop is putting out?and find a gauge for your fuel boil.or find a frend with a good scan tool and check it, that way.but it sounds like something is wearing out.IPR O-RINGS?how many miles do you have on your truck?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your superchips should have a code reader function. If you dont have any ICP codes then you dont really have an issue. Some HPOP's run higher then others, but with the superchips programing you should not see anything that great with ICP pressures anyway.

Your right there in AZ... Talk to Dennis at ITP, and order up AE, then you can watch and data log anything the PCM can look at, run and test about anything a Ford shop can... Best $300 you can spend on your truck!

With 35s and stock 3.73's its going to feel a bit laggy... Your boost numbers are not that bad for a superchip, with a good chip you should see near 25-28 psi.

These trucks will run fine with anywhere from 30psi to 75psi of fuel pressure, they are not dependant on fuel pressure for power. Check it, but if its at 55 or better at idle its fine.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Your superchips should have a code reader function. If you dont have any ICP codes then you dont really have an issue. Some HPOP's run higher then others, but with the superchips programing you should not see anything that great with ICP pressures anyway.

Your right there in AZ... Talk to Dennis at ITP, and order up AE, then you can watch and data log anything the PCM can look at, run and test about anything a Ford shop can... Best $300 you can spend on your truck!

With 35s and stock 3.73's its going to feel a bit laggy... Your boost numbers are not that bad for a superchip, with a good chip you should see near 25-28 psi.

These trucks will run fine with anywhere from 30psi to 75psi of fuel pressure, they are not dependant on fuel pressure for power. Check it, but if its at 55 or better at idle its fine.
Agreed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.