Better mpg? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Better mpg?

What's going on guys I have a 99 7.3 and I'm wondering what are thugs I can do for some better mpg. I have a mbrp turbo back system ts 6 position chip 6637 intake. What are things I can do. And if u suggest something please have a write um. This is my first diesel not so good with this yet lol. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The biggest difference you can make in mileage is to simply drive it differently (and it's FREE!!!)

Drive like an Ole Lady, press the throttle as little as you can (1/3-1/2 way down), never rev over 2,000 rpm, coast where you can and stop accelerating as soon as you can. You know, just like those old ladies who you have to drive behind and drive You crazy...

I couldn't do it, Iike to "zoom" too much

BUT, whatever you do, DO NOT listen to ANYBODY who tells you to buy stuff, DO NOT spend money in hopes of saving money. Only those who want your money (or have already been duped by the sellers already and don't want to admit it to themselves) will tell you to do so. If mileage is important enough to you to take all the fun out of driving, then take the Free route and gain 4-5 mpg.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
The biggest difference you can make in mileage is to simply drive it differently (and it's FREE!!!)

Drive like an Ole Lady, press the throttle as little as you can (1/3-1/2 way down), never rev over 2,000 rpm, coast where you can and stop accelerating as soon as you can. You know, just like those old ladies who you have to drive behind and drive You crazy...

I couldn't do it, Iike to "zoom" too much

BUT, whatever you do, DO NOT listen to ANYBODY who tells you to buy stuff, DO NOT spend money in hopes of saving money. Only those who want your money (or have already been duped by the sellers already and don't want to admit it to themselves) will tell you to do so. If mileage is important enough to you to take all the fun out of driving, then take the Free route and gain 4-5 mpg.

No I can't go that slow I'll kill myself. But my buddy was saying there are some things that can be done to improve mpg just wanna see if anyone knows and has done it and if it works
Old 10-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what he said^ you can also do something free, like making sure you dont have any boost leaks, make sure all your intercooler pipe clamps are tight at all the connections and you have no torn intercooler pipe boots and your turbo to intake spyder is tight enough, also you can unplug your red line going to the wastegate and plug it on a IC pipe clamp bolt, if you dont plug it you WILL have a boost leak. doing this keeps your wastegate from opening prematurely.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Oh yea, all the "regular" stuff Make sure it's running "right", clean Air Filter, no dragging Calipers or underinflated Tires, that kind of stuff too...
Old 10-07-2013, 03:58 PM

Anything else lol
Old 10-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

actually yeah, make sure theres no fuel leaks in the valley around the fuel bowl, no exhaust leaks.. ummmm thats about all i can think of, oh and drive in your economy tune lol
Old 10-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Like they said, when I drive like an old lady I get 22-23 MPG ( 6-speed shifting be low 1800 and not going over 2000 on the interstate)
If I drive like everybody else,,, 18-ish
Also mine is a 2 wheel drive, SuperCab, short bed, ZF6, stock, all these things help me out
Old 10-07-2013, 06:13 PM

There was something I heard about a guy that owns powerstroke help .com or something doing fuel system mods that gets better gas milage. Wonder if anyone has done that ?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

you could do the Hutch and harpoon mod but idk bout mpg increase from it. if your really trying to milk it you might as well remove the tailgate or atleast put it down. you have to remember its an 8500lb truck after a certain point your just gonna have to live with 15-18mpgs or get a lighter more aerodynamic vehicle, if its windy out i can tell a difference in my mpgs....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.