K&N filter ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Member
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Miami, Kendall/Country Walk area
Posts: 73
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
K&N filter ?

I hear alot of people bad mouth the K&N drop in filter, but has anybody had any experience with it ? Just wondering because I have one and it seems to be working great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Covina CA
Posts: 596
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i had one and cant complain, this truck spent many many hours in pismo and glamis and that filter would double its weight in sand and i never saw any get past it. i did change it for good measure though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 AM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd say the problem wouldn't be with a K&N drop in filter. The problem is the stock airbox. K&N has been a trusted name for years & has been proven time & time again for vehicles of all walks of life. The stock airbox just isn't designed for perfomance. Look into a cold-air intake with a K&N filter, & you'll probably see a BIG difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 06-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Asheville/Fairview, NC
Posts: 4,778
Thanks: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalf-250 View Post
I'd say the problem wouldn't be with a K&N drop in filter. The problem is the stock airbox. K&N has been a trusted name for years & has been proven time & time again for vehicles of all walks of life. The stock airbox just isn't designed for perfomance. Look into a cold-air intake with a K&N filter, & you'll probably see a BIG difference!
Actually the K&N drop in filter is the problem.

There bad news. They tend to get holes in them and let dirt threw

As for the regular cone filters and such, i'm not sure about.


But as for there drop-in filters, they are a BADDDDDD idea on turbo-diesels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-28-2008, 10:47 AM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalRollinRoosterCruiser View Post
Actually the K&N drop in filter is the problem.

There bad news. They tend to get holes in them and let dirt threw

As for the regular cone filters and such, i'm not sure about.


But as for there drop-in filters, they are a BADDDDDD idea on turbo-diesels.
Do you know this through personal experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Asheville/Fairview, NC
Posts: 4,778
Thanks: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalf-250 View Post
Do you know this through personal experience?
No not personal experience. Just everything i've read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-28-2008, 10:53 AM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalRollinRoosterCruiser View Post
No not personal experience. Just everything i've read.
Hmm...I've never had problems with K&Ns I've run in past vehicles: '83 T-Bird 5.0, '98 Mustang GT, '03 Cobra, & my '01 F-250. But then again, I'm from New England. You'd be more worried about sucking in a seagull instead of sand or other harsh debris elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Asheville/Fairview, NC
Posts: 4,778
Thanks: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalf-250 View Post
Hmm...I've never had problems with K&Ns I've run in past vehicles: '83 T-Bird 5.0, '98 Mustang GT, '03 Cobra, & my '01 F-250. But then again, I'm from New England. You'd be more worried about sucking in a seagull instead of sand or other harsh debris elsewhere.
seagulls

They seem to work quite well in gas motors, just not turbo diesels. There are quite a few threads on here with people who have had horrible experiences.


I personally wouldn't wanna even chance getting my motor dusted. Its not worth the multiple thousand dollar chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: nicholasville ky.
Posts: 2,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i cant complain about the k&n drop in filter but one of my buddies had on then went to the cold air intake and said he could tell somewat of a diff. but i have a d.i.y. intake and i really like it.
it gives you easy hp. but really cheap.
i think a d.i.y. intake is the best way to go if you are kinda short of money like me.
i know a guy also that has one in a 04" duramax for about 2 years now and not had a single problem
but personaly i would go with a d.i.y. intake since it is the cheapest and ive heard that a d.i.y. intake gives you more hp. and keeps more dirt out, but i dont know from experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-28-2008, 11:03 AM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalRollinRoosterCruiser View Post
seagulls

They seem to work quite well in gas motors, just not turbo diesels. There are quite a few threads on here with people who have had horrible experiences.


I personally wouldn't wanna even chance getting my motor dusted. Its not worth the multiple thousand dollar chance.
Hell no! I DO like K&N & haven't had problems. But I've failed to mention that's all I've used & have been looking/doing research on other intakes. With your new insight, I may be pushing for something else faster!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors