First roadtrip, couple of questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 07:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First roadtrip, couple of questions.

So I took my new to me 2001 F250 on its first road trip this last weekend. Went to Vegas. About a 5 hour drive each way. Overall it went really really well. I do have a couple questions though.

First, this is my first diesel truck, so keep that in mind. The truck is a lifted 2wd crew cab short bed. Its got a 6" lift with 35" all terrain tires. I have daily driven the truck for the last month or so. Putting a good amount of miles on it every week. This was my first road trip though. Now for my questions.

1. When I got to Vegas I got out of the truck and smelled diesel. At first I thought I was crazy and told myself of course I would smell diesel, its a diesel truck. But ultimately, of all the miles that I have put on the truck over the last month or so, I had never smelt it like this before. From outside the truck I primarily smell it from the driver side, can smell it at the front, but don't smell it on the passenger side. So is this normal or should I be looking for some kind of leak? Could it be the fuel cap?

2. I am hearing a pretty good "hum" from what I assume is the tires. I have had tires that hummed on some of my lowered trucks, but this is not quite the same as I have heard in the past so I thought I would ask. I heard it from the front driver side tire, but that could be just because thats the one I was closest too. Anyways, normally I would expect the hum to be pretty consistent but this seemed to be different. The only way I can explain it is that it would get louder when the suspension loaded up and quiter when it unloaded. Like if you were going over some smooth hills in the freeway, when the truck would hit the bottom of the hill and compress it would get loud but at the top of the hill it would get quieter. Sometimes it would seem louder than others. It just struck me as odd that it was such a big difference in the droan so I didn't know if this would be normal for larger offroad tires or if it might be something bigger like the wheel bearings telling me something.

Thanks for your help.

Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

All your fuel lines are on the drivers side frame rail and your fuel pump is below your driver side front door on the frame. If you smell fuel then I'd check the lines. Start at the fuel tank and start working your way down to the fuel filter just to be certain.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you didnt smell the fuel from within the cab?

And for the hum, may want to pull the hub/s off and hit the bearings. Also, might try balancing the wheels.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:14 PM

Yeah, I took a quick look and didn't see anything obvious. Going to take a closer look in the morning. Are there any common leak points to look out for?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 PM

Thanks, wheels were balanced before the trip. Will get them checked out just to make sure.

I did not smell the fuel in the cab until I opened the window. That was the first time I smelt it. The first time was at a gas station parking lot so I didn't think much of it, but when I smelt it at the hotel parking lot with no other diesels around I started paying more attention and it was for sure from my truck.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

once you check the fuel lines under the truck, check the connections at the fuel bowl and make sure there's no leaks around the fuel filter. It could be leaking from there and burning off on the engine.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:24 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Regarding your tires, what are they exactly? Some tires are louder than others and will hum different sounds. It's normal for an aggressive tire to scream while going down the road and get louder if you slam on the brakes, make a hard turn, or load the suspension at the bottom of the hill. These maneuvers should increase the volume of the tire for that quick second. It's just your tire applying more of that aggressive tread surface to the ground.

Maybe check your tire pressure and make sure youre not slightly over inflated also. I wouldnt worry too much about the hum. Again, post back at exactly what your tire is and I'll look it up if I'm not familiar and compare your tread pattern. My Mud Grapplers scream (almost deafening with the windows down) when driving but I love it.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usteffenhagen View Post
All your fuel lines are on the drivers side frame rail and your fuel pump is below your driver side front door on the frame. If you smell fuel then I'd check the lines. Start at the fuel tank and start working your way down to the fuel filter just to be certain.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Also check the valley for fuel it could be your fuel bowl drain valve leaking which is a common problem but is easy too fix. As far as the "humming" your talking about, maybe it's a drivetrain issue. I've heard of people getting a humming sound sound from bad rearends, but since yours is a 2wd drive and there being no front axle blows my theory
Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Also check the valley for fuel it could be your fuel bowl drain valve leaking which is a common problem but is easy too fix. As far as the "humming" your talking about, maybe it's a drivetrain issue. I've heard of people getting a humming sound sound from bad rearends, but since yours is a 2wd drive and there being no front axle blows my theory
not entirely dude...when my turbo popped 2yrs ago, i then developed a "hum/harmonic sound" that was pedal sensative. On gas, noise present, let off pedal, no noise...i tried everything/replaced everything...it wasnt until 2wks ago, with trans out getting a new TO bearing, i decided to replace rearend with a used one. Sure enough, the noise was gone... Crazy how, with a turbo to pop, that my rearend then decides to make funny noises. But, you'd swear it was coming from the engine bay/trans area.

OP...is/was your "vent" switch on ANY setting besides "off". Weird how you didnt smell fuel from within the cab. Like others said, i'd climb atop the motor and look into the valley.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 AM

Thanks for all the replys.

I had the A/C going the entire trip. Its still fairly hot out here in the southwest.

The tires are Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires. Not super aggressive really.

As for the leak, I got under there this morning and this is what I found. Fuel lines and pump connections were all dry. Underside of the fuel tank is wet, drive shaft is wet, transmission pan is wet, everything forward of the inspection cover hole is dry. The exhaust and most of the stuff on the passenger side is dry as well. I got under the hood and found a nice little puddle of fuel in the valley. I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from, but there is definitely fuel in the valley. I would assume that there is some kind of leak at the fuel bowl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.