b99-safe? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation b99-safe?

I just discovered that there is a biodiesel station only about a mile from my house ! Wondering how safe this stuff is, should I only use a little for lubrication or should I go straight bio ? It's b99.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to blizzardwarrior7
In my opinion? No. I dont see the point in it. For one, the chemicals that go into biodiesel cant be all that good for the enviroment...Secondly its really not any cheaper than diesel...Thirdly the two people I know that have run it in their engines, (b100 I beleive) noticed a slight decrease in power, and in fuel economy. Here is a helpful link that lists pros and cons of it though
Auto Review: Pros and Cons of Biodiesel
Old 06-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzardwarrior7 View Post
In my opinion? No. I dont see the point in it. For one, the chemicals that go into biodiesel cant be all that good for the enviroment...Secondly its really not any cheaper than diesel...Thirdly the two people I know that have run it in their engines, (b100 I beleive) noticed a slight decrease in power, and in fuel economy. Here is a helpful link that lists pros and cons of it though
Auto Review: Pros and Cons of Biodiesel

Someone got a bad batch of Bio? Biodiesel is known to have a lower energy content than dino, so I can accept that fact. It comes down more to cost analysis. How much cheaper is B99? if it covers the loss in fuel economy, and is cheaper than dino I would run it. I run it and every form of it. I may be more radical in my ways but this is the second truck that I have bought to run B100 and WVO exclusively.

The chemicals that go into biodiesel being toxic? You tell me what is bad for the environment because that article didnt say one word about what its made out of. Well I will tell you what its made of, (1)Waste Vegtable oil that was destined years ago to go to the landfill or sprayed on your dogs food. (2) Methanol, derived from natural gas. (3) Sodium Hydroxide, this one I will throw you a little bone here, but nothing more than a puppy could handle. Its a caustic chemical in raw form, but when combined in the biodiesel process it attaches to the glycerin molecules and becomes soap!! Which by the way is environmentally friendly, its biodegradable. What is the end product of refining fuel? Ohh thats right its roofing/paving tar!!!! Good thing they found a use for it, or we would be showing in that sh$t by now.

Comes down to it if its cheaper and covers the price analysis then I would run it if you want.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:09 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What year truck is it?

It doesn't really matter, but if your truck is still under warranty, I think they only allow you to run B20 in it before the warranty is void? Someone may correct me on this, but that is what I've read and heard. If you run B99 and have injector o-ring issues, you may be SOL on the warranty.

Just food for thought.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Methyl Ester (biodiesel) will swell low grade rubber over time, so there is concern with certain O rings and hoses over time so I would have it in the back of your mind, but its still something that I am not overly concerned with. The O rings that would possibly have issues would be the ones in the quick connects on the fuel lines. The Injector O rings from what I know are silicone so they are not as affected.

Warranty, would be something in question, and is also subjective with the dealer. If its under warranty I would use caution for the fact that they may give you hassle about it.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to blizzardwarrior7
Well in my opinion, Its more worth your while to convert your truck to run on vegetable oil. I bought a kit from GreaseCar which is located 10 mintues from me. I have been running SVO in my truck for 5 months with great results. Same power, smoother running. It is much much cheaper, I pay about 2.50 a gallon, as i buy it from a pump prefiltered and everything. There are no negatives to using it at all, unless you dont filter it properly. In comparison, biodiesel around here runs close to 4.85, the exact same price as diesel.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Using Bio-D is perfectly safe for your fuel system and you engine in general.
If you discover you need to go to the dealer for a warranty repair, its not likely they will ask you what fuel you are using unless your advertising with a huge window decal that says "This truck runs on French Fry Grease". And you can always top off with diesel and thin it down a bit on the way to the dealer.
It is expensive, yes but you are still cutting your dependance on imported oil when you purchase it. So that alone is enough for me. I use the vegiostroke but still have to buy a tank of diesel every 2500 miles or so and if i could buy bio-d in OK, i would but as of yet, there are no stations around here selling it.
Go for it.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't know nuttin....

To add to that, Bio-d is an excellent solvent and will remove varnishes that may have accumulated in your tank and lines so when you begin using it, be prepared to change filters soon after...maybe within the first 500 - 1000 miles. And you may have to change again fairly soon after that depending on how dirty your tank was.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBLUE View Post
Methyl Ester (biodiesel) will swell low grade rubber over time, so there is concern with certain O rings and hoses over time so I would have it in the back of your mind, but its still something that I am not overly concerned with. The O rings that would possibly have issues would be the ones in the quick connects on the fuel lines. The Injector O rings from what I know are silicone so they are not as affected.

Warranty, would be something in question, and is also subjective with the dealer. If its under warranty I would use caution for the fact that they may give you hassle about it.
Where are the quick disconnect fuel lines? I know where the quick disconnect HPOP lines are, I've had to deal with them, and when I changed a leaking fuel line on the top of my motor, it was not quick disc. I'm just curious, I didn't know we had any for the fuel lines on these trucks.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

not 100% sure but i tihnk they are down by the fuel pump on the frame rail, there is some kind of joint there with a clip hold it together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.