OEM Shocks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 05:56 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM Shocks

I guess before I ask this question, I'll give you the run down of how my truck's set up & how it's used; it's got the factory 16" "phone dial" rims with regular A/T type tread tires(worn Goodyear Wranglers, soon to be replaced with equivalents). It also has the stock leaf spring suspension with what appears to be OEM spec KYB Hydro-Adjust shocks(originally bought already equipped on the truck back in '07). Both rear leaf packs were replaced 1 1/2yrs. ago with 1 extra leaf on both sides. I don't plan on purchasing any fancy rims, aggressive tires, or a lift kit. It has an aftermarket Rancho steering stabilizer, but it's OEM spec. The truck no longer sees any off-road & the only time I use 4x4 is in the snow. She's 100% road queen. I'm also moving to Florida soon for school & I'll be pulling a 16' trailer from Rhode Island to the Orlando area carrying 2 Harley-Davidson Softails(about 800-850lbs/each), a large toolbox w/ tools, & a few other odds & ends with a currently unknown combined weight.

I've replaced just about everything in the steering/suspension/brakes over the course of the 6 years I've owned it, except all 4 shocks & they're long overdue. I'm looking into OEM height shocks, but I'd like something with a little "beef" to them without having to buy stupid-expensive shocks because they have some "rad" brand-name stickers or gnarly boot covers of some sort. Something that'll give me piece of mind on this upcoming trip pulling all this weight 1700+ miles. I'd also like to buy something I can get some longevity out of. I really don't care much for the KYBs it has on it now. They've been OK thus far, but they've always looked really flimsy to me & I'd hate to deal with either a blown shock or poor ride quality on the trip, ESPECIALLY going through New York City on I-95 pulling a trailer that'll possibly weigh at least 7000lbs through all that NYC mayhem. I'd just like some shocks that'll get me to Florida & stand the test of time & won't have to worry about them for another possible 6 years.

Sorry if this seems like a novel, but details on this forum seem to get me further on what I'm looking for. Thanks to all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 06:00 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Give Raul a pm... He's got Bilstiens 5100 for all forum corners for $325. You will NOT find a better deal. I've looked!

Bilstien 5100
Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
Give Raul a pm... He's got Bilstiens 5100 for all forum corners for $325. You will NOT find a better deal. I've looked!

Bilstien 5100
Rollin- Once again, thank you for the links & your help! I appreciate your time, bro! It's been a while since I've talked to Raul, too. Now I've got a reason! Take care, man.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:09 PM
one day at a time

For an OEM equivalent it's tough to beat a set of Bilstein 5100's. Although no matter what you buy, just about any new set of shocks is going to feel great compared to a worn out set of OEM's.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:12 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
For an OEM equivalent it's tough to beat a set of Bilstein 5100's. Although no matter what you buy, just about any new set of shocks is going to feel great compared to a worn out set of OEM's.
I hear you, shu. It's going to feel even BETTER after getting rid of these KYBs. Even though they're not leaking, they've gotten really crappy over time & have gotten to that point where they make a loud squeak when you go over bumps. The harder the bump, the louder the squeak!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Raul told me they don't have the 5100's for stock height 99-04 trucks
Old 09-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Cary at CT Performance has them! I just spoke with him via PM the other day

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-29-2013, 07:01 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Good point... Forgot 99-04 need a leveling kit. Bilstien makes shocks for stock height 99-04 super dutys but Raul doesn't sell them right now. Here is another link showing the part number you need if you are and want to stay stock. (NO leveling kit)

Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873
Old 09-29-2013, 07:08 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
Rollin- Once again, thank you for the links & your help! I appreciate your time, bro! It's been a while since I've talked to Raul, too. Now I've got a reason! Take care, man.
That's what the org is for
Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
Cary at CT Performance has them! I just spoke with him via PM the other day

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
Good point... Forgot 99-04 need a leveling kit. Bilstien makes shocks for stock height 99-04 super dutys but Raul doesn't sell them right now. Here is another link showing the part number you need if you are and want to stay stock. (NO leveling kit)

Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873
Thank goodness I checked again, today! Thanks for the input, guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.