Re-gearing 4:30's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re-gearing 4:30's

Hello everyone,

I am considering swapping my current 3:73's out for 4:30's for the following reasons;

- 35" tires
- do a lot of short distance heavy hauling for my construction company.
- transmission gets hot while hauling heavy through the BC mountains during the summer. I already have a 6.0 cooler, upgraded valve body, and HD torque converter.

So my questions are;
- can I buy a kit somewhere, that includes all necessary components and parts?
- I am 4x4, I have heard that i would have to change my front differential also? Is this true? And why?
- I've heard that the v10 triton trucks came with 4:30's. could I find one at a wrecker and do a axle swap? If that's easier?

Any comments or opinions would be much appreciated!!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 12:54 PM

front and rear gears must match.
where in BC are you? best pricing on the parts will be at BCC in abbotsford.
its pricey stuff. you will need a master install kit for the front d60 and a master install kit plus a crush sleeve eliminator for the rear
I am in Mission. when I bought my lockers and install kit BCC was charging prices right off of the Randy's ring and pinion website which is about 1/2 what everywhere else charges.
gear install and setup is a big job
Old 09-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
4.30 is a bit on the low side but if your primarily towing it will be great. The reason for doing both front and rear is that if you only do one, when your in 4x4 the front will be spinning a different speed than the rear. For some dedicated off road vehicles it can work but under normal use, you will break something. Now if you plan on never using 4x4 and I mean never, not occasional use then you can get away with just doing the rear.

There are kits available, check out Youkon gear. You should have a Dana 50 front and Sterling 10.5 rear axle. For the average person, swapping the axles will be easier and quicker. Go here for a general guide on what needs to be done. It's not as simple as pulling the gears out and tossing in a new set, you have to adjust tolerances in multiple places so the gears mesh properly. Each adjustment affects all the other adjustments so it can take many hours of pulling the gears out to change a shim and checking the pattern/backlash. If you do the axle swap, get new U bolts, don't reuse the old ones.

One more thing I want to address is your transmission. It shouldn't be running hot with a 6.0 cooler even with heavy towing. What temperatures are you seeing?
Old 09-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

It's up to you but I think 4.30's are a bit much.

Your front and rear gears must match otherwise your front and rear tires will spin at different speeds... causing insane stress on the drive train, and the weakest link failing.

AFAIK the only stock trucks to come with 4.30's were DRW trucks. 4.10s are easier to find and I personally think that.s what you would be happier with. With 4.30's you are going to be around 2500rpm at 100km/h or there abouts.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
4.30 is a bit on the low side but if your primarily towing it will be great. The reason for doing both front and rear is that if you only do one, when your in 4x4 the front will be spinning a different speed than the rear. For some dedicated off road vehicles it can work but under normal use, you will break something. Now if you plan on never using 4x4 and I mean never, not occasional use then you can get away with just doing the rear.

There are kits available, check out Youkon gear. You should have a Dana 50 front and Sterling 10.5 rear axle. For the average person, swapping the axles will be easier and quicker. Go here for a general guide on what needs to be done. It's not as simple as pulling the gears out and tossing in a new set, you have to adjust tolerances in multiple places so the gears mesh properly. Each adjustment affects all the other adjustments so it can take many hours of pulling the gears out to change a shim and checking the pattern/backlash. If you do the axle swap, get new U bolts, don't reuse the old ones.

One more thing I want to address is your transmission. It shouldn't be running hot with a 6.0 cooler even with heavy towing. What temperatures are you seeing?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:19 PM

the hills are pretty big in BC. I can see it making heat going up the Smasher or Blueberry-Paulson or Salmo-Creston.
I havent seen anything like them in the western states I ran.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:09 PM

I had a '07 V10 with 4.30 gears in it. With 33" tires it was a beast!
I have no idea if the diffs would swap right in, but they are out there.
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.