Fuel bowl rebuild - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 02:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel bowl rebuild

I would like to reseal my fuel bowl later today and have permatex high temp thread sealant that I was going to use where required. I'm reading some things saying that it won't cure for over 24 hrs but see 72 hrs on the package. How long should I expect my truck to be down before it will be good to go without leaking for those of you who have used this? Is there anything better that will cure a lot faster?

Last edited by Mearntain; 09-28-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There is nothing in the fuel bowl to use permatex on. It install o-rings and rubber sleeves. You need to order the kit from dieselorings.com
Old 09-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to guzzle's Powerstroke Fuel Bowl Rebuild Web Page

Do not use sealant anywhere
Old 09-28-2013, 10:58 AM

I bought my seal kit from dieselorings and in his instructions, it says to use diesel fuel rated thread sealant on all NPT threads
Old 09-28-2013, 11:12 AM

that might refer to the oring plugs on the rails and the hpop threads. Nothing on the fuel bowl though, needs sealant. the orings and parker sleeves take care of any leaks.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Sounds good. I posted this on PSN too and it seems like no sealant is the consensus. Thanks everyone for the replies
Old 09-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

I was wrong. Blame the lack of sleep. I misread and thought you were gong to deal up leaks lol.

In his instructions, it shows where to use a sealant, I would probably follow them
Old 09-29-2013, 11:13 AM

Did you end up doing the rebuild yet? Just wondering how long it took you and if you have any additional tips or things you learned? I am doing mine today or tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrybizzle View Post
Did you end up doing the rebuild yet? Just wondering how long it took you and if you have any additional tips or things you learned? I am doing mine today or tomorrow.
Yep, I did it yesterday, 4 times thinking I had a problem. The whole rebuild went easy, lacquer thinner was the key to removing the Stock PTFE inside. Where I thought I went wrong was when I would prime the bowl, my pressure would maintain 65 psi, and then it would drop once the pump cut off. I thought something was wrong so kept taking it apart to try to find the issue, but come to find out its supposed to do that. Realistically it shouldn't take much longer than an hour. I spent extra time on mine since it was so dirty, gross isn't even a strong enough word to describe how mine was. I've got 321K and I'm pretty sure this was the first time it was ever apart.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearntain View Post
Yep, I did it yesterday, 4 times thinking I had a problem. The whole rebuild went easy, lacquer thinner was the key to removing the Stock PTFE inside. Where I thought I went wrong was when I would prime the bowl, my pressure would maintain 65 psi, and then it would drop once the pump cut off. I thought something was wrong so kept taking it apart to try to find the issue, but come to find out its supposed to do that. Realistically it shouldn't take much longer than an hour. I spent extra time on mine since it was so dirty, gross isn't even a strong enough word to describe how mine was. I've got 321K and I'm pretty sure this was the first time it was ever apart.
thanks. Sounds good. Hopefully mine goes smooth as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.