Installing a Thermocouple - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing a Thermocouple

This weekend I'm going to install the thermocouple and my Edge CTS. I'm new at this and looking for techniques and helpful hints.

When drilling the hole:

1. Best way to make sure the hole is straight? Bracing?

When tapping the hole:

1. Looks like the best technique is to go in 1/8 of a turn and then back the tap out to clear debris. Repeat. Then, once complete, run the tap back through the whole length 2-3 times. Any better way/suggestions?

2. Do I thread the entire hole all the way through?

3. Is Loctite or anything else required to secure the thermocouple?

Lastly, if I SCREW THIS UP...Any large amount of damage if I drive 10 miles to a diesel mechanic with a small hole in the manifold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Just make sure your location allows enough room for the probe itself. When drilling, use lots of grease to help catch the metal shaving from going into the exhaust. Do the same with the tap. Go in 1/8-1/4 turn and then back it out the same... Just keep repeating. Once your get close to going thru, then unscrew the tap all the way, clean it off, clean the hole out, and then regressed and finish tapping all the way into the exhaust. If your really nervous about it... Some guys say do it while the truck is running so there is pressure pushing towards you keeping the shaving from entering the exhaust, or you can use a magnet after your done to try and get all the little pieces one your done. It's not hard though...
Old 09-27-2013, 04:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's not as hard as it seems, yes it's alittle scary drilling into your exhaust manifold. You have plenty of room when drilling, where a really good pair of safety goggles that wrap around your face because ounce you start drilling the metal shaving plus the carbon thats inside the manifold falls everywhere, you DO NOT need too use grease, you are drilling into the bottom of the manifold so the shaving will fall onto you and the ground. When tapping the threads start then back out allowing the tap threads too stay clean, do this a few times, and remember a NTP is slightly tapered, so you don't have too run the tape all the way in, the hardest part for me was getting the fitting started, it took using my thumb appling pressure while using a open end wrench to start the fitting. You need too use some type of anti-sieze grease on the fitting and the probe threads. One other thing I did was tooke my shop vac and made a tight fit over the area and vacuumed out whatever might have been inside the exhaust, here is a pic from Diesel Manors web site, plus there are several more that are very detailed on installing the probe. If you read the comments with the pics the guys at diesel manor go into better detail on why you do not use grease, and like I siad there are more pics than just this one.

3-Gauge Install Pictures

Last edited by hansel; 09-27-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:30 PM

Drill, tap, install. Don't grease, don't step the bit size.

Unless you live somewhere that Obama has turned off gravity, 99.9% of the drill shavings will fall in your eyes, face, armpit and such. Any shaving that does fall UP will blow right past the turbine wheel without issue.

Drill, tap, install.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:45 PM
RollinEarly05...now

To each their own... I've seen multiple guys use grease. Doesn't hurt anything to be extra cautious
Old 09-27-2013, 11:50 PM

Question is..

What does it help? Drill bits are designed to eject material, gravity is designed to let objects fall.

Greaseing the bit defeats both.

I've installed countless pyros... drill tap install.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
To each their own... I've seen multiple guys use grease. Doesn't hurt anything to be extra cautious
Greasing is not being extra cautious and can cause problems; greasing is more like being extra reckless. What originally would have just fell out on its own will now not fall out and clump all up. Then you have more than just a couple tiny peices to blow through the turbo
Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearntain View Post
Greasing is not being extra cautious and can cause problems; greasing is more like being extra reckless. What originally would have just fell out on its own will now not fall out and clump all up. Then you have more than just a couple tiny peices to blow through the turbo
There is more than one way to skin a cat... I've done this several times. Works great for me. It doesn't cause more problems. Saying that shows you haven't tried it. The OP asked for opinions, and this way has never failed me. Plus you don't end up with metal shaving all over the place. I'm not going to go back and fourth... But I know this does work.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 AM

I stepped the drill bits when I installed mine. It is a little nerve racking drilling into your manifold cause if you mess up, you pretty much need a new one. But all I did was drill it, tap it, and put a vacuum cleaner up to the hole to suck out all the shavings that were still in there. Not as hard as it is made out to be.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
There is more than one way to skin a cat... I've done this several times. Works great for me. It doesn't cause more problems. Saying that shows you haven't tried it. The OP asked for opinions, and this way has never failed me. Plus you don't end up with metal shaving all over the place. I'm not going to go back and fourth... But I know this does work.
I didnt saying doing that WILL cause problems, I said it CAN cause problems. Every gauge kit out on the market very clearly says in bold letters, DO NOT USE GREASE. It's just common sense- drilling upside down results in most of the chips falling to ground. Using grease cause grease to get stuck in the manifold catching chips that would've originally fell out.

Just like every chip out on the market clearly says DO NOT LEAVE KEYS IN IGNITION WHILE REMOVING OR INSTALLING THE CHIP. Are you one of those that ignores that too and leaves the keys in the ignition so you can listen to the radio during the install?

If every company recommends you to instal the thermocouples the same way, I'm sure they have good reasons for that and I highly reccomend you, the OP, do NOT use grease for the instal. Drill, tap, vacuum it out, apply anti seize, and be done with it. Really the vacuum is not needed but just extra reassurance. You can always run a tiny magnet around to to get whatever chips that may not have fallen out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.