Air horn activated by ignition? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Air horn activated by ignition?

Being the thrifty and experimental person i am i was looking into alternative security systems than the over priced and known systems. I believe good old ingenuity is way better than a system you can buy.

So my idea is to wire my air horn to the ignition so that unless the switch(conveniently hidden) is off, you turn the power to the ignition, by way of the key(miraculously obtained from my pocket) or by a screw driver jammed in the ignition it will blast the horn continuously while it is running.

That coupled with my clutch kill switch (found here) will i hopes frustrate the thief enough that he takes off. And since i live in an apartment complex, having air horns blasting is sure to bring attention to my truck enough that someone would call the cops if anything to complain about the noise.

Im also kind of toying with the idea of wiring it to the map lights circuit as well so that they cant even get into the truck without the horns blasting but i cant think of an easy way to have it disengage so i dont blast myself getting in.

Just thought id share my plan and maybe give you guys some ideas.

Last edited by Rammstein1224; 10-17-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have an idea thats even better as far as security.... well maybe.

You can get fingerprint deadbolts for your house I have one. Ours can have up to 25 people fingers saved. I'm curious to take one apart and find a way to put the guts inside the truck door, then make the actuator that moves the deadbolt, just move the lock instead.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post

You can get fingerprint deadbolts for your house I have one. Ours can have up to 25 people fingers saved. I'm curious to take one apart and find a way to put the guts inside the truck door, then make the actuator that moves the deadbolt, just move the lock instead.
That would be pretty interesting.. it would take a good amount of knowledge with basic servos and what not to make it work..

I like the idea of the air horn blasting too.. I've thought of something similar since we live in duplexes. Although its not a high crime area, I've seen a few shady folk walking through that I tend to eye ball.. I think it would be as simple as wiring an extra valve control solenoid in to your key on power with a switch between.. just remember to hit the switch before leaving or you'll
Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM

Downfall to the fingerprint is I could see those easily failing especially being exposed in the elements. If you can get you hands on die packs you could wire one of those in to your alarm circuit so if they try to Hotwire it then the dye pack will explode. They will be easier to catch by the authorities.

Last edited by TBJK; 09-25-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyryan07 View Post
That would be pretty interesting.. it would take a good amount of knowledge with basic servos and what not to make it work..

I like the idea of the air horn blasting too.. I've thought of something similar since we live in duplexes. Although its not a high crime area, I've seen a few shady folk walking through that I tend to eye ball.. I think it would be as simple as wiring an extra valve control solenoid in to your key on power with a switch between.. just remember to hit the switch before leaving or you'll
Same here its iowa after all but still you never know what pos might try something. And it would be even easier than would just need to splice into an ignition on circuit running to the (+) side of the solenoid valve and there you go. But yea im sure ill get myself more often than not but oh well
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM

I've had my air horns hooked up to my alarm for years.
Best bet is to buy the cheapest possible alarm and just wire it into that.
Could get keyless entry and remote start out of the deal if you wanted to

But if you really want o do it on the cheap, try using the fuel pump circuit.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I've had my air horns hooked up to my alarm for years.
Best bet is to buy the cheapest possible alarm and just wire it into that.
Could get keyless entry and remote start out of the deal if you wanted to

But if you really want o do it on the cheap, try using the fuel pump circuit.
I thought about using the fuel pump and i like how it shuts off after 20 seconds so by then they are gone or if they start it theres no shutting it off
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Fuel pump shutoff is great on a gas engine, but you run the risk of damaging your injectors since they need fuel to lubricate... expecially if the thief kept trying to start the truck.

I've tossed the idea around of having the PCM hooked up to a switch, but that's a sensitive piece. Maybe IDM but really a hidden switch for the Clutch pedal sensor is a great idea. For the auto guy's, your truck has the wiring for this and it is live, there is a dummy plug from factory.

Another idea would be the neutral safety switch, cps ( if anybody wants to mess with that circuit), ICP ( again maybe risky), or the start wire from the ignition.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:33 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Have any of you guys ever heard of revelco? Thats what I have on my truck and I love it. It saved my current truck once already and saved my old 6.0 (totaled) TWICE! I was sold on it and had to get it in my current truck when I bought it. Its about $500. I still love the idea of the train horn alarm though, now I just need some train horns...

I'm not exactly sure how its wired but this is from their website:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The circuits interrupted by the RAVELCO may vary from application to application. Typically, they would include the electronic fuel pump, the ignition circuit, the starter circuit or even the computer."

"All electrical connections are made in the engine compartment of the vehicle and are connected in and through the factory wiring harnesses. Since there are no exposed wires, a properly-installed RAVELCO is virtually impossible to detect and very time consuming to trace because all the wires are the same color (black). Even trained, mechanics have called our offices to question the location of the RAVELCO hookup on a vehicle."
Old 09-26-2013, 04:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post

I don't trust biometric things. I've logged into several computers with fingerprint log-ons by doing nothing more than repeatedly pressing my finger on the scanner. They're only as good as the software supporting them, and manufactures always try to save costs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.