White smoke please read - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 05:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke please read

Ok e99 mods in sig. Just replaced injector cups and injectors. Truck runs fine IMO. Starts fine also. For a week or so it would start and have absolutely no smoke. Then one morning the white smoke started rolling. Anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes worth slowly clearing up then gone. This is only on cold starts.

I replaced the gpr and plugs less than a year ago. I did check them again at the uvch and all 8 read fine. I have also started to watch the oil and coolant levels. Both of which I've seen no noticeable losses in a week. I have been checking those levels first thing in the morn. Drained the fuel bowl and replaced the fuel filter.

I don't know what to look into next. The injectors are reman 160/30s from Ffd I used oem cups with the correct lock tight and feel confident in the install due to no oil or coolant losses. Injectors are all torqued down correctly also. I've not had a compression test done but it does pass the oil cap test. The temp here has been in the mid to low 40s at night. That shouldn't be enough to cause my issues I don't think.

Any suggestions or if this is normal with those injectors at the night time temps I'm seeing. I feel like its not but I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelltevans View Post
Ok e99 mods in sig. Just replaced injector cups and injectors. Truck runs fine IMO. Starts fine also. For a week or so it would start and have absolutely no smoke. Then one morning the white smoke started rolling. Anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes worth slowly clearing up then gone. This is only on cold starts.

I replaced the gpr and plugs less than a year ago. I did check them again at the uvch and all 8 read fine. I have also started to watch the oil and coolant levels. Both of which I've seen no noticeable losses in a week. I have been checking those levels first thing in the morn. Drained the fuel bowl and replaced the fuel filter.

I don't know what to look into next. The injectors are reman 160/30s from Ffd I used oem cups with the correct lock tight and feel confident in the install due to no oil or coolant losses. Injectors are all torqued down correctly also. I've not had a compression test done but it does pass the oil cap test. The temp here has been in the mid to low 40s at night. That shouldn't be enough to cause my issues I don't think.

Any suggestions or if this is normal with those injectors at the night time temps I'm seeing. I feel like its not but I'm not sure.
which injector orings did you use?
Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 AM

The ones that came on the injectors from Ffd. Also covered them in fresh oil while doing instal.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it's cold outside, I'm sure it's fairly normal.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:07 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What are the outside temps while its smoking? Smell the exhaust, is it sweet smelling?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 AM

Ok heres an update. Replaced both uvch one side tested bad at the number three injector. Runs better but still has miss and blows lots of white smoke on first start of the day.

Had it scanned and it showed the faulty harness and a code for the idm. I ohmed from the idm plug to the injectors and all is well now with that wiring.

In reply to the smoke it is not sweet at all very thick white smoke and I'll burn your eyes and nose. Reeks of fuel.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:34 AM

Also temps have been low 30 to low 40s and getting cooler.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:36 AM

I replaced the cps with a new one also cause I had it in the glove box. Oil and coolant levels are still good as well
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what oil are you running? also how long do you wait after the wait to start light goes out, to crank it? the Relay will run for approximately 90 seconds after the light goes out.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:26 AM

I use rotella 15w40. I have a light that is on whenever the gpr is on I can wait the full time it doesn't matter. Still smokes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.