smoke at cold/cool start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question smoke at cold/cool start

hi i have noticed of late an increase in smoke at first start up. the smoke will continue for sometime at idle but if you drive off..it clears quickly. the color at all times seems to be white with a blue tinge. The truck received all remanned injectors a few months ago and oil consumption hasn't changed over the last year. Fuel economy improved with the injectors from about 12mpg to 15-16 mpg and has remained steady ever since. Coolant levels haven't changed at all over the last few months. i have done a buzz test and no issues there. the cylinder contribution test yielded the typical cyl 8. With cylinder velocity, again cylinder 8 shows a perdel of 5.0. All the other cylinders except #3 are hovering at 0 +/- .5 Cylinder #3 bounces between 1 and 0. At this point, I am not sure where to go next in diagnosing this. What have I overlooked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 04:24 AM
Premium Member

You don't say where you are.

When it starts getting about 5 Degrees Celcius and lower ( that 40ish in F?) That would just be normal operation of these trucks. It will get worse the colder it gets. This is video I took of my truck last winter. It would smoke like that, Acrid blue tinted smoke, for about 5 minutes on high idle.

The other option if its still relatively warm where you are is things like injector O rings, even though they are new.

Now unless you are talking about big puffs immediately at start up... like within half a second of the truck running, if so then you probably need to look at your glowplug system. The smoke shown in the video won't show it's face for 30 seconds to a minute of running.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

hi with winter conditions like in video, that would be normal bit i have seen mine in 75F temps. the smoke is almost immediately and doesnt seem to want to go away no matter how long it idles but will disappear with driving about .5 mile. the oil consumption hasnt changed in the yr i have owned it. the glow plugs have been ohmed and are ok..relay is a new stancor and my led indicator light shows the system energized during the smoke session. btw, i am in maine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.