2003 7.3 rough running erratic starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 7.3 rough running erratic starting

2003 F250, CC, 4x4 7.3 auto. 136,000 mi. All stock except 6637 filter.

Noticed last week driving at around 55 mph (tc locked OD on) it felt like the engine had a very slight surge or perhaps rough running. Ever since I've owned it it's started a little bit erratic. Sometimes it cranks for 2 sec then fires right off. Sometimes it's 3-4 seconds. Not excessive but a little bit longer. Then last night I'm driving down to advance auto parts, about 35 mph TC locked in direct (3rd gear) and really noticed the part throttle surge. Just at a steady speed, just enough throttle to maintain speed. A little more throttle and it goes away, or at least I don't notice it. Let off from steady speed (go into coast, OD off or OD on either way) and I dont' notice the roughness. No CEL and advance couldn't get any codes, however I think the guy doesn't know how to run the scan tool properly. I drained the fuel bowl and it didn't seem to make any difference. Fuel filter is a new motorcraft, less than 1500 miles on it. Oil was changed yesterday-however the problem has been going on even before the oil change (I've had it for about 3500 miles and the oil/filter were done when I bought it with motorcraft stuff, and I also use motorcraft). Only other issue I have with the truck is the overhead console, which is out and being repaired as we speak. I can't see well enough to solder PCB's.

I'm all ears for suggestions. It doesn't really feel like anything major however I like to fix stuff before it does get major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 PM

Just did a LOT of searching. Short of buying AE (or similar) the initial test for ICP is to remove the plug and look for oil. So I removed the plug on mine and found oil.

So I'm assuming the ICP is leaking/junk/needing replaced. Where's the best place to get one? International? Ford? Online or local?

also I'm assuming it's adviseable to replace the connector as well. I've seen those on ebay. I've not done one, I assume just remove the black plastic harness cover, cut, splice (solder), and it's good, is that the preferred method of replacing it or is there a better suggestion?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you dont usually have to replace the connector, only if its bad.

i bought my icp off ebay, anywhere you can find ford sensors cheap.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:05 PM

Done.
Replaced the sensor this evening. Thankfully it's an easy job. New sensor looks different...hex is bigger and higher apparently to make installation easier? Don't know. It works though. Test drove, ran over to the lake (about 5 miles) and back. Stop and go for the first 2 miles, then 55 for the last ~3 mi. TC locked in OD I still had a little bit of rough running. Perhaps some air in the oil rail? Idles great. I also cleaned the connector and found zero corrosion or anything. Just wet (dry now). Drove back home. Got back on highway and it seemed to be smoother but then got into the stop-and-go traffic again and couldn't feel it. No time to drive any more, had to run home and get ready for work again. But does that sound normal? Little air in the oil rail after replacing causing a little bit of, what almost feels like a slight miss, at steady speed? throttle up some and it goes away. Let off and it goes away. Just does it when JUST maintaining speed, no more no less.

Only other thing I noticed was the 2 HPO lines were wet, and the HPOP itself was pretty nasty. Cleaned it off and I'll watch for the leak-probably o-rings if I have to guess. Doesn't look to be a huge leak, if it was, the entire front of the engine would be wet and it's not. Just a few drops of oil down in the valley that I could see. Oh and it looks like the IPR connector's wire insulation may be compromised-I can't see down there (at work, no flashlight just using cell phone), possibly from HPOP lines leaking on it. Anyone ever seen that before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.