Truck Storage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Storage

Anyone have a input on how to store your truck for a year or more? I am going to try and have somone drive it every week or so or at least start it up. But what else? I need to plan on the starting or driving not happening in case they dont follow through. I really dont want to sell her because good 7.3s are hard to find these days.

Heres what im thinking so far..
truck will be outside as of right now...trying sort out those details or find inside storage.

Lean to or some sort of cover storage if outside
Put some stands under the frame to keep tires off the ground to prevent flat spots ect?
Battery tenders and quick disconnects
Not sure on how to prep engine/turbo to prevent rust ect? Any ideas? (i came about this topic a year or so ago but cant find it again)
Any other ideas

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Behavior Modificationist

I can't imagine there's much to do other than what you've named. The first thing that came to mind was to keep it off the ground however possible. I sometimes don't drive my truck for a couple weeks at a time and keep a solar charger permanently mounted to the dash windshield. Additionally, I'd put a healthy dose of Diesel Kleen in a full tank, drive it around for a minute to make sure it's mixed in pretty well (I'd even go so far as to dump a 1/4 cup in the fuel bowl). Other than making sure it has a good bath and some sort of cover, I don't think there's much to consider.

Maybe take a look at putting something anti-rodent around the engine bay, on the floorboards and under the bed. I know I have birds that frequently build their nests behind my grill and in between the fog lights.

for more input
Old 09-18-2013, 04:59 PM

If you wanna bring it to me, I'll drive it every other week for you. LOL
Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM

Haha thanks guys...yeah im hoping to avoid this if I can...we will see what happens might as well plan ahead though...im alittle worried about the turbo and cylinders sitting without movement or fresh oil

Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Nah that'd be the least of your worries. There's nothing that can go wrong there. The seals and tires will rot before anything happens there.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:05 AM

Fill the tank as full as you can get it so there less chance of water from condensation build up.

Toss it on Jack Stands.

Buy a portable garage/EZ up style shelter from Harbor Freight.

Put a ton of dryer sheets throughout the engine bay and interior - mice hate them for some reason and smell better than moth balls
Old 09-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Buy some desiccant to put in a small bucket and set it inside the cab to keep moisture at a minimum.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 AM

Thanks everyone for all the input. Definitly going to put a healthy amount of fuel additive in for gelling and water build up ect. I should put a air dog fuel filtration setup in....hmmm what a great excuse haha

Keep the ideas coming if you have them. I know alot of guys dont use their trucks as dd's so hopefully some of these might help them of they stumble on the thread.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ONLY use the Airdog setup to help your factory pump. They have a very hard time keeping 60-70psi at all throttle positions as a stand alone system.

You may get a person here n there that hasn't had any issues but they are really made for common rail systems or older Cummins.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

My son just got back from being deployed and what we did was to remove the tires and put them inside in a garage to prevent cracking. Truck wasn't going to be driven because he suspended insurance. He has stacks so we covered them to prevent water/snow build up. We ran the fuel down as low as we could and made sure it was treated properly. He had a roommate start it every 2 weeks and ran it for 10 to 15 min or so. One a month he would hook it up to a battery charger just to keep them in good shape. Moth balls in zip loc bags with holes in them placed in the engine compartment and cab to keep critters out. Sun shade on all windows to keep the sun from fading the interior. This worked well for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.