Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Superchips 1805 Question

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  drstephennix 
#1 ·
Hi all. I have a quick question about my 7.3 since I'm still learning alot about these motors. Currently I have a DIY Intake, 3.5" Straight exhaust w/o muffler, and ZooDad mod. I came across a good deal on a Superchips 1805 tuner for the truck. Before everyone starts bashing me on the tuner, I got it for a really good deal that I couldn't pass up and I like the fact I can change my speedo calibrations for the larger tires, not to mention the fact I now have a scanner for the codes. From what I have read on the Superchips website, the tuner has the following "cookie cutter" tunes on it: Performance Tune: Max 99.8 HP and 160.3 foot lbs torque Tow Safe Tune: Max 47.2 HP and 81.9 foot lbs torque Tow Performance Tune: Max 88.9 HP and 132.1 foot lbs torque. Will running the truck on the 99.8 HP tune hurt the truck in any way since I don't have guages to monitor what the truck is doing? I mean, since these tunes are "cookie cutter" tunes, gauges wouldn't be required like they should with a custom tune on a high HP setting?

#4 ·
I have a Super Chips tuner I think is the same as yours. Don't have it here with me so not sure of the model number. It works fine for what I need. I can feel a huge difference when I have it set for towing or performance over when it's set for stock program. I use it for heavy towing. I'm an old guy and don't care about smok'in tires and that stuff. I do have a problem with my fuel mileage. When I bought the Super Chip unit the guy said it should improve the mileage some but it really didn't. But it sure did improve towing performance. I bought my truck used and it already had gages in it. I wouldn't want to be without them. I watch them like a hawk when I'm towing especially up long grades and in stop and go traffic. If you've been reading other threads on this site you'll have seen how important it is to know your tranny temp. That's a big deal.

#5 ·
I had the 1805 flashpaq for a few months until I got my chip from Tony... so this is hands on experience with it, not he said she said

as for the tunes with no gauges, dont do it!!!!

I had mine on the performance setting and I could hit 1300 on the egt's while running it hard and on the tow safe while towing my 8-9000 lb trailer I could hit 1300 also quite easily.. so just because they are cookie cutter or canned they are not fool proof get a set of gauges..on stock I could never get it over 1100 on the egt's

I was happy with the 1805 while I had it I just got bored of the power and needed more..I'm at the same stage again :(

take thsi for what you will but I will never run any tuning with out a pyro and tranny temp with a auto , boost is always fun to watch too

#7 ·
Here is a Piston out of my early 99 with a superchips, post turbo pyro and a 1100 red line...

Get gauges! Bottom line, get gauges.

There is nothing wrong with the superchips tuner, I had one years ago and liked it. Simple and worked.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.