Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dead PSD COMPANY truck - Need opinions!

890 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
Hi all,
My business has an 01 F550 7.3 w/ 6-speed manual. Last week the truck just died on one of the employees. After towing the vehicle back and inspecting it we found diesel in the oil. On further inspection we found that the injector that is on the front driver's side of the motor had its' nozzle cracked in half. We pulled the heads and found that the glow plug had welded itself to the top of the piston and the walls are scorched. I also have a bent pushrod. Haven't had the oil pan off yet to look at the lower parts.
180,000 miles.
The truck also has a failing clutch.
We just put a rebuilt rear diff. in it a couple weeks ago.
I can't really afford a new truck right now.
I am curious if anyone can give me an idea of if/how we can get the truck fixed? Can I just bore it and get pistons/rods/pushrods/cam/etc somewhere? Would that be cheaper than getting a long block assembly from ebay or somewhere?
Before I found out the extent of the damage I had planned on getting a double disc clutch as we have had issues with stock clutches going out too fast (2 in 6 years). I was also planning to try and get some more power out of the motor as we use the truck to pull other delivery trucks out when they get stuck places in the winter.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
your best bet is to drop a shiny new 7.3 in! :ford:

#3 ·
Yeah probobly best to find a lower mileage block or buy a reman block and bolt on all your accessories from your current engine.

#4 ·
yup yup yup

#5 ·
Well, I now have two opinions. Thanks guys!
Out of curiousity, where is the best place to get hipo parts for a rebuild on a powerstroke? Sorry, but I have always been a Cummins guy for my personal truck, so I'm not familiar with the best vendors when it comes to powerstrokes. I know with my Dodge (Gone now :( ) the best performance places tended to be niche places that only cummins forum members knew of. I'm assuming it's probably the same way here. :dunno:
Thanks again

#7 ·
actually toupee raul at stealth automotive on here can hook you up, but mainly the way it works around here is we have lots of site vendors on here. so basically you can get a bargain on anything you need for your truck just by asking around. thats your best bet

#8 ·
mrnecsteve -

Thanks for the input but due to the loads the truck carries f250/f350's are out. The truck has an all steel utility bed with a 10k lb crane and carries large liquid filled steel tanks so I need all the gvwr I can get.

I might call around and see what I find out.

More opinions are always appreciated. Thanks a bunch guys!

#9 ·
I understand...some of the deals I see...if compatable with what you have could make "parting out" a profitable venture.The price drops for used big trucks way down...
.price increases for little "coffins on wheels " way up. I read an atricle of one guy that sold a refreshed (2002?) geo metro for 7500 bucks!!
Its bizarre but a good opportunity to speculate on the speculation!

#10 ·
I got my short block from Diesel Inovations... $3500 shipped with Forged Rods... Have your heads gone thru for about $500 more and new injectors for about $2000 and you could have a 400hp work truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.