4 speed automatic switching to ZF6 need help with parts!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4 speed automatic switching to ZF6 need help with parts!!

Im switching out my auto and putting in a ZF6 what do i need? i have
Zf6
nv 273 ESOF t-case
south bend 1944-60fek clutch, pressure plate, kevlar pilot bushing and flywheel
pedal assembly, clutch/slave cylinder, steel spacer plate, upgraded clutch fork
what else do i need? PCM?

2000 f250
6inch pro comp lift
37 in toyo
10K HIDís
boost fooler
6 pos chip PHP tunes
4inch straight pipe, dumped
gauges- boost, trans temp, egt
DIY afe intake
Foil Delete
BD thruster turbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The PCM is nice to have but not completely necessary. You can leave the MPLS in place, bypass the PCM programming with a chip or have the PCM reflashed. You will want to get the transmission hump from the donor otherwise you will have to get creative with yours. The drive shafts are also different lengths. Otherwise, just look around. There are a few good writeups on how to do the swap.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Banned

Have to ask why you would do this?

The auto does everything the manual will do, only it will do it better.

There is no point that you can argue this on...
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

Because diesels should be manual. All of them. I love how "sporty" an automatic is, but I like shifting gears more. The only time I tire of the act is in stop and go traffic. If I were to use the truck as a drag car as it's main purpose in life, then I would stick with an auto.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Banned

Has nothing to do with going fast, an auto will tow better then a manual because of one thing...

torque multiplication...

there's a reason why modern diesels have automatic's now. hell even tractor's (semi's) are coming from the factory with automatic now.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

Torque multiplication is done with gearing. No matter how it gets into that gear, the gear does the work. Autos are better than they once were, but so are manuals. I disagree that anything other than "customer convenience" is the reason for semi's to be going the auto route.

Both can be built to handle massive power. I'm sure it's cheaper to build the 4r100 though, as it's a common practice. Not common because it's cheaper, cheaper because it's common.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Okay I did the zf6 swap myself so OP you've got everything you need except the wiring harness. It's pretty simple there are two connectors on the zf6 transmission, follow them up to the engine bay, and below the Brake Master Cylinder youll see where it plugs into the Engine bay harness. That way you get reverse lights and all that.

You will also want to keep you're automatic harness, because the Manual PCM will still look for it to be in park or neutral, my solution was to plug the range selector back in and tuck it away.

You also need the floor hump, I took a good picture that shows where you need to cut

If I were to do that again... I would cut a little bit farther to the rear of the cab to make a bit longer hole. The best part about having to cut a hole is you dont even have to take your exhaust off to do this swap, all the bolts are easy to get to now, and I just used an engine hoist in through the door to lift/lower the tranny's
Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

And in stock form the zf6 is stronger, any of the builders will tell you that too. Yeah the 4r100 can be built for about 4500 or so and itll be fine, but you can get reman zf6's for as low as $1600, new ones for 22-2500.

There was a guy I remember reading his thread, 800+hp truck with a stock zf6 that held up just fine.

Obviously in a race the auto wins, and while it takes less thought to tow with an auto but I certainly wouldn't say it's better. I feel I know what gear I need to be in, or will need to be in half a mile down the road better than any computer.

I also gained 70-80km per tank, and the truck is 10x more fun to drive, that makes the manual swap more than worth it to me
Old 09-05-2013, 06:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I love my manual! Good luck with the swap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.