Tell me what I did wrong... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tell me what I did wrong...

Picked up some bad fuel and had a lot of debris in tank so I had to drop the tank and have it cleaned, decide this was the right time to complete the "hutch" and "harpoon" mods and add a pre pump filter and fuel/water separator.
Mods and cleaning went well and the truck went back together, rolled the key forward to prime the fuel system and listened for the fuel pump to cycle 4 times then fired the truck up with 4 gallons of diesel in the tank. About 2 minutes after the start up the truck began to idle rough and got louder and louder I first thought it was the air working out and then realized it was getting worse so I shut it down just before it stopped running by itself... In this time the fuel pump had failed and stopped flowing altogether, I replaced it and filled the fuel bowl back up and she started right away.
We cleaned up our tools and my friend poured in 16oz of diesel kleen before I could tell him to wait for me to fill up, so I drove about 3 miles to the closest station to fill the tank with diesel and on the way she started blowin white smoke bad and worse at idle, after filling the tank completely I drove 50 miles and it still smokes BAD at idle and much less when the engine is revved!
Did I kill an injector when it ran out of diesel? Was the heavy mix of diesel kleen bad? Will this clear up if it is the diesel kleen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Behavior Modificationist

It's not the Diesel Kleen. If it's pluming straight white smoke, I'd vote for a bad injector(s).
Old 08-31-2013, 03:13 AM

It just seems so unusual because there was no sign of anything before the repairs yesterday and even now with the smoke at idle the truck runs smoother, quiter and stronger than before...Just smokes a lot at idle...
I will do a buzz test today I guess.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
White smoke. Does it smell sweet or like fuel? Sweet is coolant. Like fuel, its oil. I don't think it had anything to do with your repair, just bad timing. Sounds like an internal or external O-ring went south on an injector.

Buzz test and CCT should show you which stick it is. Or you could pull the valve cover and remove one plug at a time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-31-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
White smoke. Does it smell sweet or like fuel? Sweet is coolant. Like fuel, its oil. I don't think it had anything to do with your repair, just bad timing. Sounds like an internal or external O-ring went south on an injector.

Buzz test and CCT should show you which stick it is. Or you could pull the valve cover and remove one plug at a time.

it is a fuel smell and confirmed while testing...
Just did the buzz test and all tested ok, the tool we have states it cannot communicate with the PCM for contribution test even though it has it listed for active testing. While doing these tests we noticed fuel leaking from the exhaust side of the turbo so obviously one of the injectors (or more) is pouring fuel. Any ideas without the contribution test to determine which injector it is? is pulling the valve covers the next step?
Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Without the CCT then yes, a valve cover then unplug one at a time. Just do one valve cover at a time. You got a 50/50 shot on what side its on. I suppose you could unhook the main plug on one of the harnesses but it will run pretty rough. You won't hurt anything though.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the quick help!
If I unplug the injectors one at a time I assume it would take some time to stop smoking? because the engine runs very smooth (if there wasnt any smoke I wouldnt know there was an issue) I can't say that I will hear a difference aside from no smoke and no noticable fuel leaking from turbo mount?
Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 AM

I once added diesel kleen to an almost empty tank when I was about to fill up

the realized the schitty AM/PM greedy fuel station had one point of unmanned pay for 8 pumps and it was broken

I drove around looking for diesel white knuckled for 10 minutes and found some no issues

later I asked the forums about the issues I may have caused and all agreed that it wouldn't do anything to run on the diesel kleen mix
good luck and keep us posted

oh you have any friends with an A/E diagnostics tool ? they can drop injectors on demand and with the later versions do a contribution test
Old 08-31-2013, 06:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasvillePavers View Post
Thanks for the quick help!
If I unplug the injectors one at a time I assume it would take some time to stop smoking? because the engine runs very smooth (if there wasnt any smoke I wouldnt know there was an issue) I can't say that I will hear a difference aside from no smoke and no noticable fuel leaking from turbo mount?
It won't take as long as you think.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 AM

The smoking has slowed down quite a bit and the fuel leak from turbo has slowed down to barely wet now after some more injector tests and the buzz test. I tried the UVCH dissconnect and aside from the engine performance drop as expected the smoke and fuel leak seemed to stay the same even after 5 minutes each side unplugged. I am making some more phone calls to some friends to get another scanner here that can complete the CCT.
This scanner keeps showing the CCT as an option for this truck and will begin the test but then faults out to no communication with PCM. All other tests complete OK with this tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.