Injector "ping".. possibilities? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Injector "ping".. possibilities?

So, little back story. Ran out of diesel, filled up and wouldn't start. Turns out pump lost its prime, wouldn't pump fuel just air. Got the truck going again, and now every time on start up i get a "ping" and a slow start (may not be the best description) i just know it doesn't sound right. What are some things to check for? Fuel pressure is good. Engine has a slight lope after driving a bit, but nothing else has changed. Did I mess up an injector?

Can't really afford to take it to a dealer because local they charge $115 just to hook it up and pull codes. Diagnostic testing just sky rockets from there and the local diesel 'mechanic' would tell me to throw a bully dog tuner on it and be done any help is highly appreciated. Just need a starting point. Btw, i have the torque app and a BT adapter on the way so i can get a few readouts soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 07:47 PM

Anybody? Looking for somewhere to start
Old 09-01-2013, 04:55 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Coupla things that would occur to me...

Next time you start, and would expect things to "sound" different, try cycling the key to ON for 15secs Three times and then start. This would fully purge & pressurize the system and if it behaved normally you'd know which "side" of the system was causing it.

Next, because both the Fuel and HiPres Oil systems are dead-headed (in the heads), without "crossover" connections (like the FrX HpX) it can take some time to purge air once introduced. Have you put 100mi on the truck since this happened yet? Might cure itself
Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 AM

I have a full regulated return, and its been about 75-80 miles. It only does it during start up though. Ive cycled the keys and tried listening and nothing sounds out of place then i start and while turning over it makes a horrible.. ping, clank screach.. idk how to describe it. After its running, it drives fine but after some short driving it starts a lope. Checked pressure and its holding steady at 67psi.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wonder if your App will do cylinder contribution?
That might be a start...
Old 09-01-2013, 12:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No, unfortunatly the Torque pro app does not have cylinder contribution, buzz test or DEL-PER testing yet.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasvillePavers View Post
No, unfortunatly the Torque pro app does not have cylinder contribution, buzz test or DEL-PER testing yet.
It will read cranking oil pressure, correct? It's a very slow start sometimes. So it may be HPOP related. I do have 300k+ on the truck.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes it will read, however there can be a slight .5 - 1.0 second delay on the BT setup, it is very close to realtime Data but I haven't used it to diagnose a start issue before.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 AM

So it's getting worse.. I'm not thinking it's injector related anymore. Cranks have gotten slower and the noise has gotten louder. I tried getting a quick video earlier but idk how well it will work.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Fixed!

Turns out a starter bolt had fallen out and starter backed off, and didn't fully engage. Luckily, i picked up this bolt out of the middle of the parking lot at work and after a quick once over on my truck, chucked it in the tool box and didn't think much else. Well today, went to leave work and truck just grinded and screeched then barely caught, trying to turn over then started the noise again. Pulled cover under trans to see if it was flex-plate or starter teeth missing. Bumped the starter when pulling the cover and noticed it was loose, as in close to 1/4" gap between mounting surfaces. Bolted back up, checked the bolt i had picked up, it fit, then noticed the solenoid wire had backed off and barely making contact, so that explains the slow start. Sorry for the novel, but man I'm glad it was a simple fix!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.