steering linkage loose - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
steering linkage loose

I was greasing up the front end today and when I went to grease the zerk on the steering linkage that controls the left side knuckle, it popped up. Upon further investigation the castle nut at the bottom needs to be tigher but when I go to tighten or loosen it the whole bolt just spins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not sure you actually have a problem....

The "popping up" thing is normal I think. Those nuts Never needs to be tightened though. That's not how it works, it's a taper that, once tight, doesn't loosen with wear. That wear happens inside the joint not where it attaches to anything.

So, get someone to wiggle the play, back & fourth, in the wheel while you're underneath. Does that joint have slop in it? If so, it needs to be replaced (and once you remove that castle nut, you'll appreciate how "locked" it really is ).

Do you have too much slop in the system? If so, look at all the joints as that play is being wiggled. Find where the "unproductive" movement is occurring but, remember, there's actually supposed to be a little slop, mostly from the steering box itself.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Thats the point. I tried to remove the castle nut and the whole bolt just spins.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:50 AM

I thought the point was - do you need to replace a worn part?

So, do you have a bad end or not? Is there play in the joint?

You did something wrong, you went to a nut in the belief that it was a cure for a bad end - right?? Now, is this something that actually needs replacing or not?

If you do NOT have "slop" at that point (or any other as I described above), go find something else to worry about

If you Do, have slop at that point you're going to have to get creative to undo your mistake. I would start with a "Nut Cracker". Do you have one of those? Being a castle nut it might break easier for you. Do you have an Air Chisel? You could split the nut that way maybe. I dunno, I've never done what you did...
Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 AM

First off I didnt "do" anything. I was just under there while putting a new caliper on and greasing all the fittings when I saw it was a little loose. Actually I would have never known if it didnt pop up from greasing it. Tried putting a clamp on it to take off the nut but it still spins. I have a plasma cutter but not sure if its a good idea to use it there.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 PM

AGAIN, IF the joint needs to be replaced then I wouldn't hesitate to Plasma it off (flush with the arm, and Only the nut side) but next you might need a "Pickle Fork" to separate the two.

As I understood what happened, I thought you saw the boot/joint rise and thought that to be a sure indication you had something wrong (despite 3 replies you still haven't told us if that joint is actually bad or not...) and then what you did was to try to remove any movement by (over) tightening the castle nut to the point where it spins now.

At least that's what I thought you Did
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.