just wanna pick some brains - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just wanna pick some brains

So my check engine light would come on when accelerating. More so with a load but still all the time when going up hill. Once check engine came on all power lost, shut off truck restart and all back to normal.
So far I've checked fuel pressure, was 55psi at idle and 42-50 at WOT. Ran AE, at idle everything was fine.At WOT going up hill; Duty cycle-88.87%(high?), ICP-1900PSI(low?). Codes P1209 - ICP peak delta test fault, P1668 - PCM/IDM Communication error, P1211 - ICP higher/lower than desired
Changed oil, filter, fuel filter. All not that old but cheaper than anything else. Re-ran tests AE said same as above except codes were only P1211 and MIL went out on its own after a few seconds. But ICP and Duty cycle still the same.
So what do you all think? Need to clean and re-o-ring IPR? Replace ICP? (No leaks in ICP harness) Or replace HPOP
Or am I not even looking in the right place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 01:24 AM

over boost causing it to defuel?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My ICP is lower and my IPR is higher on the DP tuner. So I don't think that's your problem.

I'm not sure what your fuel pressure should be, but mine never goes below 60psi at full throttle. And closer to 65 at idle. My fuel system is all stock.

If you can rebuild your IPR I would try that, it's basically free. My IPR was bad before and I replaced it, made a big difference.
Good luck
Old 08-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am planning on rebuilding IPR today. But can't find anybody open that sells it. They want $700 up here for a reman. IPR. that's a new pump!
Old 08-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

reman ipr from dieselsite is like 80 bucks, thats where i got mine and it works great.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So cleaned ipr and no difference
Any other thoughts? Maybe just a new hpop has almost 300,000 miles. Or will a faulty icp cause high duty cycle?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

dont buy anything, I work for international as a Tech and deal with this stuff all the time.
But when you throw over 22-24 pounds of boost your check engine light will come on but shut off after some driving to make sure it doesnt overboost again.
also if you shut your truck off and turn it back on the light will be off.
So Since when your light comes on when under hard acceleration and more when under a load thats when your turbo is going to make the most pressure

I throw that code all the time because I get up to 35 pounds of boost when im towing or really mash my pedal

The ICP higher/lower than desired comes on because the computer sees the high boost and the the ICP an IPR pressures are not proportional with what the boost should normally be. Hopefully that made sense

Last edited by mcyrana; 08-25-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaggard View Post
So my check engine light would come on when accelerating. More so with a load but still all the time when going up hill. Once check engine came on all power lost, shut off truck restart and all back to normal.
So far I've checked fuel pressure, was 55psi at idle and 42-50 at WOT. Ran AE, at idle everything was fine.At WOT going up hill; Duty cycle-88.87%(high?), ICP-1900PSI(low?). Codes P1209 - ICP peak delta test fault, P1668 - PCM/IDM Communication error, P1211 - ICP higher/lower than desired
Changed oil, filter, fuel filter. All not that old but cheaper than anything else. Re-ran tests AE said same as above except codes were only P1211 and MIL went out on its own after a few seconds. But ICP and Duty cycle still the same.
So what do you all think? Need to clean and re-o-ring IPR? Replace ICP? (No leaks in ICP harness) Or replace HPOP
Or am I not even looking in the right place?
If your seeing anything above 65% duty cycle you have an ICP issue... 80% is more or less the IPR being closed and not bypassing any pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
My ICP is lower and my IPR is higher on the DP tuner. So I don't think that's your problem.

I'm not sure what your fuel pressure should be, but mine never goes below 60psi at full throttle. And closer to 65 at idle. My fuel system is all stock.

If you can rebuild your IPR I would try that, it's basically free. My IPR was bad before and I replaced it, made a big difference.
Good luck
If your tuning is asking for lower numbers then that then take it out and throw it in the trash...

ICP on a WOT run should be 2500-2800psi on stock tunes, 2700-3000psi on a hot tune...

If your Duty cycle is EVER above 65%, then you have ICP issues...

The hard part is finding out what those issues are.

Could be injectors, injector O rings, ICP sensor, IPR, HPO, HPO rail leaks... Takes a bit of work to chase it down...
Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyrana View Post
dont buy anything, I work for international as a Tech and deal with this stuff all the time.
But when you throw over 22-24 pounds of boost your check engine light will come on but shut off after some driving to make sure it doesnt overboost again.
also if you shut your truck off and turn it back on the light will be off.
So Since when your light comes on when under hard acceleration and more when under a load thats when your turbo is going to make the most pressure

I throw that code all the time because I get up to 35 pounds of boost when im towing or really mash my pedal

The ICP higher/lower than desired comes on because the computer sees the high boost and the the ICP an IPR pressures are not proportional with what the boost should normally be. Hopefully that made sense

Ugh...

You work at IH and you spew this crap?

Good lord.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

So now that i actually reread that holy crap maybe I should proof read before I post late at night

Just made myself look like a horses rear end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.