What fluid is required for the 4R100 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What fluid is required for the 4R100

Im getting ready to change my tranny fluid,I changed it about a month ago but now its all burnt up, I did the full change, drained convertor, dropped pan and changed filter, I used Mercon V. I was looking up the fluid specs at work on Alldata and it said Dont use Dextron3/Mercon because its dual usage.....
I was told by a guy at work to use the Mercon 5. What has everyone else used and what does ford reccommend. Thanks

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The dual usage is the atf with mercon and mercon V rating. You should be using Mercon. I think most of it is sold as Dexron 3/ Mercon. If you put Mercon V in it I would be sure to drain it out very well (it holds 18 qts). Here's the exert from the owners manual:

Some transmission fluids may be labeled as dual usage, such as
MERCON and MERCON V. These dual usage fluids are not to be used
in an automatic transmission that requires use of the MERCON type
fluid. However, these dual usage fluids may be used in transmissions that
require the MERCON V type fluid.
MERCON and MERCON V type fluids are not interchangeable.
DO NOT mix MERCON and MERCON V. Use of a transmission
fluid that indicates dual usage (MERCON and MERCON V) in
an automatic transmission application requiring MERCON may
cause transmission damage. Use of any fluid other than the
recommended fluid may cause transmission damage.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

mine has dextron3/mercon in it... it was done about three months ago and its still very red. i had my tire guy do thechange...hes a good mechanic...i would do it myself but i dont have an evacuator; i think its important to get all the junk out so it doesn't screw up your new stuff...

happy changing...

wes
Old 12-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to dulliesmoke
well i hate to be the barrer of bad news but in my experance if you burned the trans fluid up in a couple weeks you might have more problems than fluid condition. however if you did put merc. v in it and it was supposed to have dex3/mercron, which is not merc.v, merc.v is a totaly diffrent fluid all together, i would deffinatly get it out as soon as you can and not drive it any further than absolutly nessary. take it somewhere that has a trans flush machine and have them flush a good amount of fluid through it, 25 or 30 qts. if yuo put the wrong fluid in it. hope this helps and hope your trans. is ok.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ive had the dex3/mercon back in it for a couple weeks now, also hooked up a trans temp gauge and everything seems alright except the 2nd to 3rd shift is a little firm. I took the chip back to stock thinking it was that and that made it worse. The chip is holding it together and i really dont mind the firm shift. Ive towed 5,000 + pounds a few times with it after the change and it stills pulls good. Im happy with it, the tranny's got 130K on it so shes due for a rebuild soon anyways. Ill probably rebuild it in school or get a buddy to do it for me. Ill run it till she blows!!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 02:21 PM

Fluid

Try The Amsoil Atf ...ive Used It And Have Never Had A Lick Of Trouble. Its Also Ok To Use It In The Tranny. Sometimes U Cant Get Mercon 5-4-3- Or Whatever They Recommend But Every Oil Will Mix With The Amsoil.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned

fords reccomended fluid for the 4R100(E4OD) is standard mercon(dextron III). if you are going to use anything else go with a name brand full synthetic that is compatable with mercon...IE amsoil, redline, ETC.......
Old 11-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Another ATF Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
fords reccomended fluid for the 4R100(E4OD) is standard mercon(dextron III). if you are going to use anything else go with a name brand full synthetic that is compatable with mercon...IE amsoil, redline, ETC.......
I have a 2002 E-450 7.3l with automatic that was purchased used. I would like to service the tranny and any required filters.

I don't want to beat a dead horse or out myself as the village idiot but is Dextron III/Mercon the same thing. I can't find any ATF that says only Mercon. All the ATF on the self says Dextron III and Mercon. Is this ok to use?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.