Brakes sticking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Brakes sticking

I replaced my front pads, lines, and discs in my 2000 a year ago. A couple months ago I went down th eroad and smelled something burning and it was pulling to one side. After stopping for a little it went away and was fine. So today I drove an hour away and the whole time it was pulling just worse! It was so bad that the tranny barely wanted to go in o.d. When I got to my destination the driver side was smoking a little and the passenger front was hot too and smelt terrible. After sitting for a half hour went home and all was fine and the calipers were cool when I got home. What should I check first the slide pins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
either completely stuck pins or stuck piston in the caliper - fairly common.

Pull the wheels off and take off the calipers, if the pins are stuck you'll know now. If it's not them, I'd try to see if the piston moves in the caliper. You can sometimes exersize them by pushing the piston in and out. If it was my truck I'd replace it with a napa lifetime warranty caliper and be done with it.

Good luck -
Scott
Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 AM

Sticky caliper, usually it's one side or the other. It doesn't take much of a drag before the wheel gets REALLY hot.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Odd that both sides are grabbing? As already said frozen pistons are fairly common. I replaced a caliper in the spring due to this. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Frozen pins, very common. I bet someone didn't use the right type of grease on them. If they are completely stuck take a propane torch to it and they will usually come loose. If not Napa sells half calipers so you don't have to replace the entire caliper. Make sure you use the right grease and the boots are in good shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.