help me decide if it's worth it - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help me decide if it's worth it

I have a late 99 reg cab, base model, no option truck. 266K miles, Mechanically it runs great! Truck had crappy body work done to it before I bought it. Looks good from 15 feet away, but whoever did it put a bed on it that some mud work done and when they painted the bed they painted the lower half of the doors to blend but did a crap job of it (can see tape line in paint) Frame is totally solid but body is getting rusty underneath, primarily rockers. Floors are solid as well as the bed. I'm not keen on the idea of putting a ton of money into money for body and paint work as the truck isn't what I want as far as creature comforts.

I found a 99 lariat extended cab with 170K miles that needs a similar amount of body work plus the trans is slipping in 1st when warm. (I'm assuming no saving that trans. Either reman or remove and rebuild DIY would be within my budget)

I bought my truck as a secondary vehicle, but it has become my primary vehicle and due to that I'd really prefer to have extended cab, AC, etc. I have a Vegistroke kit I'm installing and plenty of oil so my fuel savings makes up for added costs of ownership/maintenance of having a 7.3 as a daily driver.

So, should I buy the truck, get a reman trans and sell mine?
What do you think the reg cab truck is worth as it sits?
Buy the truck, swap trannies and rebuild the trans for the reg cab at my leisure and sell it when thats complete?
Be happy with what I have and who cares if my truck isn't that great looking or comfortable?
Any other ideas?

I know it's hard to give opinions on this without having all the details, but if you wanna throw your 2 cents in I'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.