replacing inside of bed..need opinions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
replacing inside of bed..need opinions.

My vacation is coming up and I'm planning on doing lots of needed work to my truck, what a way to spend a vacation. The bed is starting to rot through in a spot about 18" x18" and when looking from underneath lots of the support crossmembers look like they're on they're way out as well.

I've decided to pull the bed and cut out the supports and center section of the bed fully and weld in a piece of 1/8" or slightly less maybe 12 or 14ga steel along with C channel underneath for support/strength. While the bed is pulled I plan on cleaning up the frame as well and putting in a pre pump filter I have had setup for awhile.

My only question is if I completely cut out the center section ( there is already a small grove I could follow) will the bed loose its shape and will I have a hard time welding it back together?

Also anyone know where I can buy some of that POR stuff everyone recommends like at Lowes or Ace? Can anyone recommend any other heavy primer/paint? The bed is currently herculined and I really like how it came out so maybe I'll go with that again.

Thanks

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 03:55 PM

I bought POR15 at NAPA but a bit expensive there. You can get the best deal on
Amazon I think. I'm not a good planer so I have to purchase it last minute ;-). Someone whom I respect very much said a product called Amercoat 235 is better than POR15. I wish he had told me sooner. One source for the Amercoat 235 is C.G. Edwards Marine and Industrial Hardware and Supplies. He said his friend who does sandblasting on big boats (ships) makes a good living removing POR15 for recoating with Americoat 235. This person owned a ship building business on Long Island at one time, where they used it on trawlers and the like.
Regarding your welding question. Not sure I really understand the question but, if you are afraid of alignment issues after cutting, it is typical to tack weld some alignment braces in place to keep things from moving. Not sure if this would apply in your case?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am doing something similar, but I am just going to patch the hole from the PO installed stacks and replace the underside bed supports.
I also have some POR15 ready for the job. I have used it in the past and it works well. You just have to keep it out of the sun and prep it right.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yea, i figured i finally have some free time i can put the truck down for a couple days, or at least drive it with no bed to get back home. Im going to replace the whole bed floor with a 4x8 piece of 14ga. Make new mounts out of 2"x3" 1/8" rectangular tube, and reinforce the floor with 2"x2"x1/8" angle. Also I'll be sanding/wire wheeling everything i can while the beds off and cover it with POR 15. Bed floor is getting Herc'd again once its done.

I think my material thickness choices will be fine after seeing how the truck came stock i think it will be fine. i feel a full 4x8 piece of 1/8" is overkill and too heavy for this..plus i'll be able to save a bit more going with the thinner material.

Jason
Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
yea, i figured i finally have some free time i can put the truck down for a couple days, or at least drive it with no bed to get back home. Im going to replace the whole bed floor with a 4x8 piece of 14ga. Make new mounts out of 2"x3" 1/8" rectangular tube, and reinforce the floor with 2"x2"x1/8" angle. Also I'll be sanding/wire wheeling everything i can while the beds off and cover it with POR 15. Bed floor is getting Herc'd again once its done.

I think my material thickness choices will be fine after seeing how the truck came stock i think it will be fine. i feel a full 4x8 piece of 1/8" is overkill and too heavy for this..plus i'll be able to save a bit more going with the thinner material.

Jason
Post some pics when finished, I think I am going to try the Al's Liner bed Liner stuff as I have read some good stuff about it. Maybe google Al's liner when you have the time. here is a bed dolly I made out of china freight moving dollies so I can take it outside for sandblasting and back in for paint and what not.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thats a good idea! We have some 5 ft tall jackstands down at the marina i work at..Im going to put the bed up on them when working underneath, and set it down on wooden blocks when working on the top. Ill spend the next week picking up all the materials and hopefully it goes well. Ill try and post some pictures when its done.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:26 AM

I doubt the bed will loose its shape, your problem will be the strength of the bed floor once completed. A lot of the strength in that metal comes from the stamping or ridges in the metal. A flat piece of steel won't be as stong as the factory floor.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
How are you going about welding the bed deck itself?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeluver43 View Post
I doubt the bed will loose its shape, your problem will be the strength of the bed floor once completed. A lot of the strength in that metal comes from the stamping or ridges in the metal. A flat piece of steel won't be as stong as the factory floor.
im going to run 1x3x1/8" rect. tube across the tub going from mount to mount and tying them into the mounts themselves..so there will be four of them spanning the floor, essentially replacing the crossmembers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
How are you going about welding the bed deck itself?
im simply cutting out the bottom panel and welding the new piece right in with the bracing/support on the bottom side. I'm pretty much cutting everything out up to about 1 or 2"s from the fender well area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.