Dream truck, how much? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dream truck, how much?

I have talked to a guy selling a 2002 f350 lariat crewcab sb srw with only 106k miles. Bone stock. No fifth wheel/gooseneck. Hunter green. Very nice inside and out. So basically my dream truck. Theyre hard to find that aren worked hard or modded out.
My question is, how much is this going for in your area? How much of a premium does a dream truck cost nowadays.
This would be my first major purchase since graduating college and starting as an RN. Would appreciate more experienced users opinions on this big of a decision. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 PM

I paid 11k for mine and it was a steal, 15k isn't too out of hand but you will have trouble due to the Kelly blue book saying these trucks are only worth 8-10k and the age of the vehicle for a bank loan.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM

Has he told you how much he wants for it?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 PM

Hes asking 20k. My bank goes by NADA and NADA says its still worth 17k.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:03 PM

17 even seems a bit too high for me, you can find a decent 6.4 in the mid 20's
Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My neck of the woods that truck would sticker around $20-22. 7.3's are regaining popularity due to problematic emission trucks.

Typically an '02 truck will have PMR rods though. That's a bit of a downside if you want above 400hp. If not, its all good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Over 20k is what ive seen for most. And im very specific in wanting a nice crew cab short bed 4x4 truck. And im really only interested in a 7.3l. Its crazy to see how much these trucks are appreciating now.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just bought my 2002 F350 crew cab short bed 4x4 four months ago for $12 at a Ford dealer in Florida. I actually buy a lot of cars from other states to get better deals on them. Just pay about $100 for a buyers inspection from a shop and normally they go through the vehicle and inform you of any problems then I fly in and drive my new car or truck home.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM

I have seen some INSANE prices for 1999 to 2003 F-Series trucks with the 7.3L Powerstroke engine. Private sales or at dealership lots, these trucks are fetching very good money.....even with 150,000 to 200,000 miles on them.

Most of us familiar with diesels understand the longevity of the legendary 7.3; but the engine is not the only thing in the truck. By the time you get 10 or 11 years out of it, the truck is still going to be in need of other parts and maintenance items.

There are good deals out there, but caveat emptor.

BTW, we have "heavy" trucks at work (25,000 to 80,000 lbs GCWR) and the post-2007 models with the DPF have given us a heck of a lot of trouble! We have some 2003 to 2006 Internationals with the "pre-DPF" DT-466 Cummins ISM engines - which run just fine - but other parts on the truck are literally falling apart. Some are approaching 400,000 to 500,000 miles and are gradually being retired.

The 2007 to 2009 Sterling (junk brand of Freightliner) trucks with the Cummins ISB and ISC engines give us NOTHING BUT TROUBLE, much of it because of the DPF systems that often malfunction. They also get HORRIBLE fuel economy compared to older, non-DPF trucks.

We have some newer Hino (Toyota's heavy truck division) and Freightliner trucks with the DPF - AND a DEF system (2011 and later). So far, they are a little bit better than the Sterlings; but still require a lot of electronic wizardry in order to keep them running properly.

If you can find a well-maintained OLDER truck that does not have the DPF, get one!

Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I bought mine two years ago for 21k. It had 74k miles, no goose, no fith, owned by grandpa, complete virgin truck. They seem to be getting higher in price nowadays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.