My poor 7.3.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My poor 7.3....

Had to get rescued by two jeeps today.... I failed her lol...

So story goes... 9:30 last night, I get a text from a loudmouth type I know that has a stock Cherokee. Says it can go anywhere, that type. Well loudmouth took his jeep into an old swamp, there is no bottom to the holes there, but grass grows on top so if you don't walk ahead you get sucked in...

He offers me 50$ to yank him out, so out I go I kind of know the trail and I figure I would get the chance to bug a jeep owner. Well....

He was stuck in a decent spot, he went off the trail and didnt get far I had good ground to pull from. I after lifting the back end of that poor jeep up over and over my 4" strap snapped.

By this time it's late and dark I told him good luck and left... I thought I went back the way I came but I was about a foot and a half over, making all the difference in the world.

Happened at night, I slept in the truck and waited for some other buddies of mine... got a solid 7 hours. I have some night shots but it hadn't moved.

i was stuck good... I'm kneeling infront of the truck in that last picture.

This is what it took to get the front up, 2 jeeps one with a winch the other just being an anchor... 10 000lb winch wrapped 3 times it still barely took it. So instead of getting to bug a jeep owner.... 2 others ones get to bug me

Last edited by schlutzer; 08-20-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks like that slick,greasy mud that fills up the tread. I could not even tell those were MTR's! Hey, at least you tried and got to go camping out of the deal!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Hey, it happens to is all. I buried mine last year and had to get an OBS sled puller with 1k lbs in the bed to pull me out. Best part: it happened in my front yard
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

oh yeah it was I couldn't believe it the tires instantly turned to slicks and even out on the highway it took 15 minutes to stop throwing chunks
Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 AM

looks like its time for a locker! but that did look pretty soft.

these trucks are so heavy in the front. makes it difficult to get out of situations like that.

i cant wait for the snow.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

I just ordered a full spool and Yukon master kit for front. The rear will get the LSD rebuild and stacked tighter
Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
I just ordered a full spool and Yukon master kit for front. The rear will get the LSD rebuild and stacked tighter
A spool is a mechanical locker for the diff, correct?

You should try to find a used Dana60 out of an 03 or 04 and upgrade it. That is my plan eventually.

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

A spool permanently connects both axles shafts, by replacing the whole carrier. There isn't a need for a locker in the front. Benefit of having lockout hubs, lock both on a trail, lock one for driving in snow on road that's the nice part of a spool.

And I'm not going to bother with a d60 upgrade until I break this. 9/10 times you snap the knuckle joint and it's the same between the two so I'm not worried. Adding a spool is taking the whole weaker carrier out of the equation
Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 AM

I thought the weak point of a D50 was the axle shafts themselves since they are necked down at the carrier.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
A spool permanently connects both axles shafts, by replacing the whole carrier. There isn't a need for a locker in the front. Benefit of having lockout hubs, lock both on a trail, lock one for driving in snow on road that's the nice part of a spool.

And I'm not going to bother with a d60 upgrade until I break this. 9/10 times you snap the knuckle joint and it's the same between the two so I'm not worried. Adding a spool is taking the whole weaker carrier out of the equation
I would not put a spool in the front of my truck without upgrading other parts, you will start to blow your U-joints up and strip shafts. Also what is the point of having a locker if you have to leave one hub unlocked???? 1 tire will spin freely no matter what as the other just sits there doin nuthin. And on the trails when you have both locked, you will not be able to turn, especially if you air your tires down.

I would save some extra cash and either get a selectible locker that replaces the whole unit, or a lunchbox locker that replaces your spider gears. These will actually allow you to be able to turn without unlocking one of your hubs.

I do a lot of 4x4ing and the only people i know that have spools in the front are guys that trailer their rigs only and have full hydro steering so they can actually turn their tires, and not one of these people has a 1,000 LB motor sitting on top of their front axle....

For the rear, my buddy is a ford tech and has shimmed the rear limited slip a few times so that they are tighter like you mention and they work more like a locker when you do this so i think this is a good cheap way to get a decent locker in your rear end. .

In the end its your truck and can do whatever you want, just wanted to point out some issues with a front spool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.