Sell or not to sell. Advice needed. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sell or not to sell. Advice needed.

2002 F250 7.3 just hit 104k. I bought the truck about 2 1/2 years ago with ~70k on it or so. Love the truck and it's been good to me so far (knock on wood). Only thing I've fixed were minor oil leaks, passenger hub, and rear driveshaft u-joints ( which weren't even bad my squeaks ended up being a shock absorber).

Well the truck is almost paid off maybe another year or so, but lately i've been debating on whether or not to just sell it before it becomes a project. The truck looks great on the outside but underneath it looks like it's starting to show its age. I just had my buddy who's a body shop guy fix some rust spots on the rear fender then spray the whole bedside and it actually came out great. Today i noticed by bed is starting to rot through. Aside from this my driver door is starting to rust pretty bad on the bottom, but hasn't made it to the outside yet. Also my oil pan is starting to go ( already have a new one prepped with a special coating, just waiting for it to get bad, and my front axle seals are shot.

I do use the truck and love it. Im a marine mechanic and work at a marina on Long Island. I do lots of sidework and also buy and sell used boats, so I do get to pull with the truck quite often. I know the 7.3 isn't going to win any races (stock anyway) but I've gotten used to it and I like it. If I could go back, I probably wouldn't have went with a diesel as I think I could have gotten by with a newer gasser for the same price i paid.

That being said, I can do all the repair work myself both mechanic and fab work needed to fix the rust issues. Finding free time to work on it seems to be my biggest issue. My question is should I sell it while i can and get most of my money back and get a newer gasser while also getting stuck with another car payment. Or should i just keep the truck, take care of it as best i can and just run it into the ground?

Sorry for the novel just looking for some other peoples opinions.

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My opinion would be to use this truck as a work horse. Do what you can to stop or slow the rust but if you buy a new truck now you got higher payments on another truck that is being eatin alive.
Or buy a older gasser for work and cherry out your 7.3.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
2002 F250 7.3 just hit 104k. I bought the truck about 2 1/2 years ago with ~70k on it or so. Love the truck and it's been good to me so far (knock on wood). Only thing I've fixed were minor oil leaks, passenger hub, and rear driveshaft u-joints ( which weren't even bad my squeaks ended up being a shock absorber).

Well the truck is almost paid off maybe another year or so, but lately i've been debating on whether or not to just sell it before it becomes a project. The truck looks great on the outside but underneath it looks like it's starting to show its age. I just had my buddy who's a body shop guy fix some rust spots on the rear fender then spray the whole bedside and it actually came out great. Today i noticed by bed is starting to rot through. Aside from this my driver door is starting to rust pretty bad on the bottom, but hasn't made it to the outside yet. Also my oil pan is starting to go ( already have a new one prepped with a special coating, just waiting for it to get bad, and my front axle seals are shot.

I do use the truck and love it. Im a marine mechanic and work at a marina on Long Island. I do lots of sidework and also buy and sell used boats, so I do get to pull with the truck quite often. I know the 7.3 isn't going to win any races (stock anyway) but I've gotten used to it and I like it. If I could go back, I probably wouldn't have went with a diesel as I think I could have gotten by with a newer gasser for the same price i paid.

That being said, I can do all the repair work myself both mechanic and fab work needed to fix the rust issues. Finding free time to work on it seems to be my biggest issue. My question is should I sell it while i can and get most of my money back and get a newer gasser while also getting stuck with another car payment. Or should i just keep the truck, take care of it as best i can and just run it into the ground?

Sorry for the novel just looking for some other peoples opinions.

Jason
My 02 has 183k on it and has had very minimal issues (knock on wood). I replaced the front Hubs,just did the rear brakes (new calipers and pads), and just normal maintenance (oil change, diff fluid change). I don't think your in for a world of repairs with your truck like you may think.

As for the rust - sand it down, put some Por15 on it and let it cure. Then re-paint your original color or if on the frame/underside leave it black. Then to protect it against the salt, apply Fluid Film in the spring and again just before winter. This will keep the salt from eating the metal away/rusting. I use my truck for plowing and the calcium chloride they use in my area causes rust on brand new cars. My truck(s) have held up great over the years using this method.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.