Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

315/75r16 tires

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  mikeprod92211 
#1 ·
Hey guys currently run these tires now in a good year duratrac. I think I want to go to a 33 inch tire. ( better fuel mileage)What is the quietest, longest lasting tire?

#2 ·
i have 285/75/16;s which are a 33.
i like my duratracs. been on for 10k miles and still look new.

they do awesome in the snow and mud.
315 are more of a 35 inch tire.

#5 ·
ya my 285's make mine off by about 2mph.

#6 ·
mine dead on with 285s ha-ha, gps and speed sign verified lol

i would honestly keep the 315s, there not much difference in size,

the 315/75/r16 true size is 34.6 inches tall by 12.4" wide
the 285/75/r16 true size is 32.8 inches tall by 11.2" wide

the 285 tires are only 1" all the way around smaller and .5" in width smaller,

this is the size comparison from stock 265 to 315s (old 99 f150)

a 285 is in between that

as for longest lasting and quietest tires
i have had good luck with my handkook atms(315 on my old f150 and 285 on superduty)
and my Goodyear mt/r have the be the quietest tire ive had for a mt/r but can't tell you much for wear as its on my offroader

#9 ·
I hate metric, tell them you want a 33x10.5x16. Let them do the math!!!!!

You will get better mileage out of a skinnier tire. The wider the tire the more rubber on the ground creating friction/traction however you wanna look at it.

Taller tire with these rigs wont make a huge difference on mileage due to the amount of torque we have, motor already pushing 8K plus, 1" or 2" taller tire wont make a huge difference, might actually improve your highway MPG, taller tire = less RPM's to achieve a certain speed. But if you tow a lot the motor needs to work a bit harder if you go with a bigger tire, your final drive ratio is affected with tire height.

That being said i run a 35x12.5x18 with 3.73 gears. 2K RPM's im at 70 MPH getting about 18.5 MPG (i have a heavy foot) Towing my trailer (roughtly 7K lbs) i drop to roughly 14 mpg, but i also keep doin 70 when possible.

#10 ·
285 is gonna be the skinniest 33 inch tire.
its only 11 inches wide, 32.8 inches tall

#12 ·
ya you'll save a couple hundred compared to 315's.

#14 ·
i have close to a 3 inch and i can fit 35's/315's, but i think 285's look good.

gives it a wider stance, tire stick out of the fender wells a little. im running a 8 inch wide rim, with i think 4.5 backspacing. i could go bigger, but i still think it looks nice.

#15 ·
I like my 285/75/16 BFG AT's. They are really quiet and seem to wearing really well. I would recommend them.

Reactions: Rstar
#16 ·
I have the hankook dynapro ATM's and I love them! I've put over 150k miles on them between my two trucks and I get an easy 50k miles on a set of them with aggressive driving and a lot of off road. I like the look of the 285's with a little lift. I'd go 35"s but I don't want to give up the performance factor either. I just got the good year duratracs on my dodge and I don't like the bouncy ride at all. They do GREAT off road and they are a little noisy but I don't mind that. I just don't like how they are all mushy feeling. I'll get the hankooks again after those are burned up.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.