Redneck Ram Hydro Assist - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 02:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Redneck Ram Hydro Assist

Anybody running this setup? I have so much play in my steering wheel and after running my setup for 10 yrs i figure i am running on borrowed time. It is either going to be a Redhead steering box or just go with the hydro assist. All opinions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 02:43 AM
Premium Member

Im also curious about this. mine is a 2009.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big_Smokey For This Useful Post:
stottman (12-02-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 04:14 AM

My understanding is it is illegal to run only the redneck ram on a street vehicle due to there being no mechanical linkage should a hydraulic failure occur leaving you with no steering. This may have changed with Mercedes and a lot of others using steer by wire but maybe not... There are a lot of other components that fail before the gear box does, odds are the gear box is fine. Check ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, etc. Not in anyway trying to knock Redhead or the like, but unless yours is leaking there isn't much chance for wear inside a gear box, so long as its flow of oil was never interrupted. When I had mine rebuilt, at 250,000 miles on a lifted truck, the biopsy only turned up a slightly loose mesh gear nut. This was tightened and the box rebuilt. $130.00 The reason for the rebuild was a leaking output shaft seal. Figured I'd bloviate, might save you some money...
Old 08-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's a hydro assist not full hydro, so the mechanical linkage is still there. Redneck ram just drills & taps the stock box but they do also rebuild them if you pay for it. Have you looked into PSC yet? They are a good choice too
Old 08-17-2013, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Everything is tight on the front end. I have always been told that tightening the nut is just a band-aid, i have tightened it once already. I have zero leaks. Short of completely replacing the gearbox or going to hydro assist i don't know what else to do. I have been running 38's on it for 10 yrs now and close to 82,000 miles, i imagine the gearbox is starting to get a little worn. I did look at PSC. Do they have a kit for the Super Duty? I could not find one, though i am getting tired....here in South Korea it's almost 10 pm Saturday night. Hopefully i will have more suggestions when i wake up in the morning.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Also another one is AGR. They both have kits for SD.
You can call them & talk to them in person & they will answer any of your questions. I'm sure all three have a plethora of knowledge that they will gladly share with you if you have concerns about your steering box.

Last edited by TBJK; 08-17-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.