Water temps on recently installed gauge - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water temps on recently installed gauge

Hello, I recently installed some gauges on my 02 psd. I have been using a 203* t stat from diesel site for the last 4 years (I'm on my 2nd one as they recommend replacing semi annually) and now have a chance to monitor temps on my commute. I drive over a mountain pass with a 10% grade that climbs about 2000 ft daily and have noticed my water temps climb to 220*. Without grade I have a constant temp of 200-205 which folks at diesel site say is normal for their t stat. Is (220) an ok (normal) temp for stated conditions? Once over summit the temps return/recover to 200-205 quickly.
I have a water temp gauge in our vw tdi and temps always climb 10-20 degrees (depending on ambient air temp) while accending grade so it seems normal but just thought I'd check.
Since I'm asking. I also have a egt gauge now and have noticed that on my decent egt's go down to below where they sit at idle. Is this normal? Seems like they would parallel idle but maybe wind has cooling effect? Egt's are normally 200-300 at idle and will drop as low as 100 on descent of pass. I have been suspicious that gauge is off so id love some feedback on that too. Thanks very much in advance for any help! Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

yup, egt seems inline with mine. If running the 203* stat, then that water temp is probably normal.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does the gauge utilize a probe thats in a well somewhere?

Not sure if it is feasible for you to try but depending on the graduations of your gauge you could check it in ice water. A good mixture of ice and water will be 32 degrees...

To look at it more closely in regards to your application, you could also try putting the probe in boiling water. Water boiling will be 212 degrees. (Give or take on atmospheric pressure due to elevation.)

Like I said...that's probably way too much of a pain to try though.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Banned

I run a 180* stat and see constant 190*-200* temps... Doesnt matter what I'm pulling or how steep the pass is.

I will never run a 203* stat again.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 PM

Thanks guys! Water temp sending unit is in port under tstat. Piro probe is in intake upstream from turbo as recommended by company as well as any post I read. Is the oem t stat really a 180*? Is there a reason you wouldn't use one again? I'm not too attached to it, just seemed like more complete or optimal combustion made sense. Does 220 seem dangerous? Would love to know why anyone who ran 203 tstat and went back to oem t stat did so. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Banned

OEM stat is 195* or 192*.

Stock injectors, your fine with the 203* stat.

I didnt like what it did to my oil temps when pulling hard. Dont like seeing oil temps being held in the 240*-260* range.

Now on a hard pull I may peak there, but they come right back down...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.