Wheels and tires ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheels and tires ?

Hi everyone

Recently picked up a lifted 2000 f250 with some massive wheels and tires. After looking at what they will cost to replace and how far they stick out, I'm thinking about new wheels instead.

Currently has Micky t LT375/65R16 on 16x12 wheels

Since these are 36" tires I'm just going to go with 37"
What's a good wheel size for tire selection?
How wide of wheel should I be looking at?
This is a 50/50 truck. Half the time it's on road and the half it's in the desert

Tia
Attached Thumbnails
Wheels and tires ?-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would go with an 18" rim on a 37. 20 would look good also but i guess i dont know what you mean by it will be in the desert. I wouldnt go any skinnier than a 8" rim or any wider than a 10" rim. 10 will make your tires look wider, 8 will make them look a bit narrower but also taller.

Like enough sand where you have to air down to get around or hard packed sand that is almost cement?

I say this cause the smaller rim you have the better characteristics your tires will have when you air down. The smaller the wheel the bigger the sidewall and therefore a bigger footprint spreading the weight more evenly when aired down. Also a smaller rim will receive less damage from scraping on rocks cause you have more sidewall and will also ride a bit better with more sidewall to cushion bumps.

These trucks are heavy and sink fast in soft sand. But if you have ever driven a truck aired down its a night and day difference traction wise.

Sh*t, some people will tell you to go with 22's but really its up to you.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarportMechanic View Post
Like enough sand where you have to air down to get around or hard packed sand that is almost cement?
Both
most places ive been offroad its a mix, some hard rocky areas then 12 inches of the soft silty sand.

I want more sidewall than wheel, and i dont mind them sticking outside the fender 4" or so
18" wheels was the direction i was going
so would a 9" width be the best of both worlds
Old 08-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvGolfer962 View Post
Both
most places ive been offroad its a mix, some hard rocky areas then 12 inches of the soft silty sand.

I want more sidewall than wheel, and i dont mind them sticking outside the fender 4" or so
18" wheels was the direction i was going
so would a 9" width be the best of both worlds
Yes a 9" would probably be perfect, personally i run a 10" wheel on all my tires just cause i like the way they look. But i do think a lot of the aftermarket rims for our rigs are going to be in the 9" width range, my dad just got a new set of rims for his 2011 and he said almost every rim he looked at was a 9" wide one.

I run 18's on 35's and really like they way they look. If i had 37's i would still run an 18" but that's cause i use my rig off road and past experience has always proved to me that i will ruin a 20" rim on anything smaller than a 37" tire so i just stick with 18's.

Now for my toyota, i run 15's on 40's. But i do a lot of snow weelin and need to be able to float on the snow. but they serve as the same purpose, big sidewall gives you a huge footprint when you air down.

I used to run a 37" toyo MT on a 15" rim, aired down i had 26" across of tire making contact with the ground. Thats a lot of traction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.