ZF6 Cooler and Temps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ZF6 Cooler and Temps

I'll start with the short version.

At 20,000lbs my '99 F350 7.3L/ZF6 will hit 230-deg on the manual transmission temp gauge at 75mph within 40 miles.

Empty, it takes 100 miles to get in that ballpark.

At 230-deg, I pull over to the side of the road, and grab both cooler lines at the radiator.

Both sides are cold. Not warm and hot, not hot and hot, cold and cold.

50mph in 5th gear at 20,000lbs keeps the temperature around 195. 55mph and it creeps up.

Bad bump/drive? Bad pressure relief?

I confirmed the cooler is clear - disconnecting the lines from the transmission, I was able to blow through the circuit with nothing more than pucker power.

I also got a squirt of fluid out of the ZF6 when I let the clutch out, but can't really say much more about it (I was in the truck, wife was keeping an eye on the ATF puddle)

Adding an auxiliary cooler did nothing to change the situation.

I did not completely bypass the factory cooler though. But as noted, confirmed I can blow through the cooler.

Now the back story.

2nd owner of an e99 7.3L F350. 183k miles.

I loaded my gooseneck with a Scout II 4x4 and hauled it to Spokane for a car show. Transmission saw 230 or so. Driving empty, it had never moved within the first 100 miles, and had never gone above 150. This was the first tow.

230 or so going over the hills to Spokane. It had me worried, but it was OK.

I changed the fluid when I got home - it was probably due.

Left for Colorado, same load, with another 3,000lbs of pop-up camper.

Transmission approached 230 the first day. Second day, saw it again.

While pulling a modest grade at 70mph with the cruise on, I heard a pop/smack. I chalked it up to a very bad thrown-rock, because what else could it be?

Well, it was the throwing bearing taking a bump, and/or one of the springs from the clutch disc coming out, and/or a few of the other things that got bounced around inside the bellhousing in the ensuing melee.

450 miles of no-clutch was ahead of me. Aside from the transmission running hot, no big deal.

Transmission ran hot. And hotter. Saw 240 and I was concerned, but needed to get to my destination. Saw 250, at which point the gauge numbering stops - that must be a bad number since they didn't bother to mark the gauge after that.

I can confirm that north of 250, and by 260 in particular, the shifter rattles pretty good.

So I had the clutch replaced, and had the ZF6 opened up and found it was smoked, and a reman was installed.

Transmission shop confirmed the cooler was in good shape and free flowing, and talked me out of an auxiliary cooler. They said I'd be fine.

Thus, on the return trip, 43 miles out, I pulled over to let the transmission cool, and after another jaunt, I was installing an auxiliary cooler in the CarQuest parking lot, which ultimately did nothing for me.

I drove home in 5th gear, 2000rpm, 50mph. 12.3mpg wasn't too bad, but the two days of driving took the fun out of it.

Confirmed on multiple occasions that I had cold cooler lines, both sides.

After I got home, I went for a 75mph drive 100 miles away, and watched the transmission temperature climb - hotter than the original ZF6 ever got driving empty.

My conclusion - the pump drive key isn't installed correctly, or the pressure relief on the pump output is too low.

Of course, the nearest service shop for the warranty work is 250 miles away..

I'm not sure why the original ZF6 ran hot - part of me wants to blame it on the transmission being damaged before I got my hands on it (~3000 miles ago) and that contributed to the heat buildup, but I'm not sure.

I never stopped to check the cooler lines on the original transmission, that I can remember. I remember checking that the transmission was too hot to touch, but I don't recall checking the lines.

If I need to be concerned about the ZF6s temperatures when loaded to GCWR, then I'll go back to insisting I run an aux cooler - once the pump is confirmed to be working well.

What else am I missing? Is this fairly common?

My friends run 80+ in their ZF6 equipped trucks pulling comparable loads and do this all day.

The SD was nice with the quieter cab, air conditioning, and the 12mpg loaded.. but I was yearning for my '74 IH Travelette I'd left at home.. sure, 6mpg hurts the pocket book, but the old T-35 stick shift wouldn't have complained, and I could've bought a lot more fuel for the cost of the ZF6.

Both trucks pull the same. The T444E just gets 2x the fuel economy of the old SV392.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The regulator for the fluid pump in the ZF6 is a common failure point. Heck, mine is out and not flowing fluid through the cooler at the moment.

Eventually I am going to pull it and fix it but probably wont until I have to. Want to wait until I have the money for clutch & injectors as well.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
The regulator for the fluid pump in the ZF6 is a common failure point. Heck, mine is out and not flowing fluid through the cooler at the moment.

Eventually I am going to pull it and fix it but probably wont until I have to. Want to wait until I have the money for clutch & injectors as well.
Good to know.

Still unsure on the original failure, but this one is a fresh reman from Denver that acted up immediately.

If I just stuck to driving back and forth to work, I'd never even know.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:15 AM

subscribing...i've got a trans by-pass filtration, with a port "waiting" to have a temp sensor installed.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:40 PM

Is the regulator and pump inside the tranny, and how can you tell if they are working or not? Can you just feel the lines going to the radiator and if they're warm then they are working? This is the first time I've heard of a ZF6 tranny overheating.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM

Yes, they are inside the case. You could undo the line to the cooler an point it into a clean bucket. If the engine is running it should be pumping fluid. At least that is what I was told.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Our shop has done 2 zf6 that were in chevy 6.6 and they had no pump's
Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Only the Ford came with the pumps/coolers. GM decided not to spend the extra money.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
Only the Ford came with the pumps/coolers. GM decided not to spend the extra money.
If the OP's transmission overheated because the cooler pump wasn't working, and the ZF6 in the GM's don't use a cooler, then wouldn't all the ZF6 equipped GM trucks overheat and fry the tranny when towing similar loads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.