Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Mid boost turbo shudder

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ScottyP5947 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm having a weird turbo shudder it usually happens when the truck is part throttle and the torque converter locks. It's almost like a surge when the motor takes the load from the locked converter. I'm not sure what causes it and if its normal? I'm not sure if its the turbo surge everyone talks about because I have no idea it's symptoms. I have an e99 which I thought had less of a surging problem. Thanks in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
Can you feel it in your steering wheel as well because I'm having the same symptoms

#3 ·
The surging I feel in my truck only happens when I'm at a stop light with foot on gas

#4 ·
Did more research and our symptoms point at the throttle positioning sensor

#5 ·
Does the surge go like this:
7.3 powerstroke turbo surge - YouTube

If so, it's turbo surge. Wicked wheel, different turbo housing are the fixes. I had it, and found that it almost completely went away when I unplugged the EBPV. Mine must have been sticking or something to cause the surge. Give that a shot. Otherwise, avoid it because it's not good for the turbo. Different tune, gear, etc.

Good luck -
Scott

#6 ·
My bad see you're an e99 - should have the other compressor wheel already.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.