How non-regulated return fuel system works - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
How non-regulated return fuel system works

I have been reading alot lately about SD 7.3s and 6.0s going to regulated return, well after my diy e-fuel on my OBS i have a moderate understanding of how the fuel system works but what i dont get is how you can NOT have regulated return. Wont the system keep building pressure without a return to the tank? Or do the injectors eat all the fuel or does the fuel pump get shut off when pressure builds?

Am i just ignorant or something? Someone please explaine the difference in regulated return vs non regulated return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 09:34 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Regulated return means that the fuel pressure is regulated on the return line... Some guys choose to regulate their fuel pressure before the injectors. All of our trucks still have fuel regulators in them... Ever heard of the blue spring mod on 6.0's?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Chapter Director

Ahh i see that makes sense i thought the "return" in regulated return was referring to its returning fuel to the tank in general. What are the advantages of regulating before or after the injectors?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Non regulated return just sends the extra fuel back to the tank right where its regulated(before the injectors). Only problem is the fuel going back to the tank isn't coming out of the back of the heads so there is a potential that the injectors in the back have a chance of being starved... Plus all air in the fuel system is forced into the heads and gets trapped at the end of the line and has nowhere to go but out thru the injectors. I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly and correct me if I'm wrong plus give more detail into the factory fuel system. I haven't taken mine apart yet but do plan on doing the DIY RR myself.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Chapter Director

So in order to do a regulated return the heads would have to be drilled/tapped in the back to allow the flow to run straight through?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Ahh i see that makes sense i thought the "return" in regulated return was referring to its returning fuel to the tank in general. What are the advantages of regulating before or after the injectors?
I'm pretty sure that fuel regulated after the injectors allows for more fuel when the injectors are at WOT. If you regulate fuel to say 60 psi and then feed 8 injectors there will be a drop in psi. But if fuel is regulated after the injectors the fuel pump does a better job of keeping fuel pressure up while at WOT.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
So in order to do a regulated return the heads would have to be drilled/tapped in the back to allow the flow to run straight through?
There is ports on the back of the heads that are just plugged and adding a banjo bolt (or 90* fitting) is all that's needed to get the fuel coming out the back side of the head.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
I'm pretty sure that fuel regulated after the injectors allows for more fuel when the injectors are at WOT. If you regulate fuel to say 60 psi and then feed 8 injectors there will be a drop in psi. But if fuel is regulated after the injectors the fuel pump does a better job of keeping fuel pressure up while at WOT.
Yea thats what i would imagine in my head makes more sense, any idea why ford decided to do this in the SD vs the OBS that has regulated return stock? Cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
There is ports on the back of the heads that are just plugged and adding a banjo bolt (or 90* fitting) is all that's needed to get the fuel coming out the back side of the head.
Ok i see id imagine its the same on the 7.3 because i think the heads between the OBS and the SD are the same and the OBS has the ports
Old 08-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Go to RiffRaff and take a look at their FrX. It's a great alternative to a full-blown RR and accomplishes the same thing for Much less $$ (especially on a Stock Engine)
Old 08-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Go to RiffRaff and take a look at their FrX. It's a great alternative to a full-blown RR and accomplishes the same thing for Much less $$ (especially on a Stock Engine)
Hell for 180 i could buy a fpr and some frame mounted filters and do a fuel bowl delete all together like i did for my OBS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.