New to Forum- got a couple questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Forum- got a couple questions

I've recently purchased an '03 with the 7.3 with 206K miles. Injectors and harness were replaced about a year ago. I installed an 8" lift, 20" wheels with 35" tires, an EDGE programmer, and a CAI. New tranny and torque converter immediately followed. Turbo back exhaust to be installed within the next few weeks.

1. Even with the 100hp program, truck seems like a turd compared to any of the other diesels I've owned-the 6.0 ford, the 5.9 dodge, and the LLY chevy. It's just slow. . .and the torque, in comparison, is disappointing pulling 12k lbs.

2. Without the EDGE, truck has a significant amount of black smoke. . .barely passed the visual part of the smog test. With the EDGE, the black smoke is ridiculous...I have to gently roll into the throttle, or there's a cloud.

3. I have to crank 4-5 seconds for it to start, warm or cold.

Mileage is right at 10. I'm guessing that all 3 of the above issues, as well as my lack of mileage, are related. I've searched this forum, without any luck or conclusion. . . anyone have any ideas on where I should start?? I appreciate the help- thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

could be an oil related issue.

you could also have a boost leak.
do you have any gauges?

p.s. edge is not everybodys favorite choice. their tuning is lacking.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Have you changed the oil / filters (oil and fuel)?
Is your turbo spinning well?
I agree with blue99stroker, you should have some type of monitoring to know what's going on. Gauges, Scangauge, or ???
Old 08-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
could be an oil related issue.

you could also have a boost leak.
do you have any gauges?

p.s. edge is not everybodys favorite choice. their tuning is lacking.

Thanks for the response. . .the oil was changed right before I purchased the truck. I checked, it looks fine, and the level is where it should be. I've not changed the fuel filter- but will. Not sure if there's a boost leak- I looked, and don't see soot build-up at any of the connections. I'd agree, gauges are important- they are on the short list. I think I've got the EDGE sold. . .I've not heard great things.

I see you're from Chico. . . I miss living up there!!!

Thanks again. . . any and all input appreciated.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Have you changed the oil / filters (oil and fuel)?
Is your turbo spinning well?
I agree with blue99stroker, you should have some type of monitoring to know what's going on. Gauges, Scangauge, or ???

Seems to be. . . no boost gauge yet. Hopefully soon!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:33 PM

I am also new to the forum, and diesels, and have found this forum very helpful. My truck is stock, but I have an Edge Insight that I use as gauges. Check your IPR and ICP - could be causing mileage/hard start/performance issues. Also check the EBP sensor and tube. I checked mine and it was plugged and the tube was cracked. I am hoping this solves my fuel economy issue. Also, build yourself a boost leak tester and check for leaks. I found several small ones that I hope will improve mileage and performance.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorCSS View Post
I am also new to the forum, and diesels, and have found this forum very helpful. My truck is stock, but I have an Edge Insight that I use as gauges. Check your IPR and ICP - could be causing mileage/hard start/performance issues. Also check the EBP sensor and tube. I checked mine and it was plugged and the tube was cracked. I am hoping this solves my fuel economy issue. Also, build yourself a boost leak tester and check for leaks. I found several small ones that I hope will improve mileage and performance.
Thanks. . .I've got some more research to do. . .everything I find on here is an acronym!!! IPR and ICP??? I watched the video on the EBP sensor and tube- learned what the EBP stood for- gotta learn the rest of the acronyms!!!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:12 AM

ya their is a ton of acronyms lol
ipr is the injection pressure regulator, icp is injection control pressure. both of these sensors deal with the oil side of the injection system.

ya im a native chicoan. it is a great place to live. too bad you dont live here anymore i could give you some help.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=bmjt7109;6211698]1. Even with the 100hp program, truck seems like a turd compared to any of the other diesels I've owned-the 6.0 ford, the 5.9 dodge, and the LLY chevy. It's just slow. . .and the torque, in comparison, is disappointing pulling 12k lbs.

You cannot even compare the 7.3 to the 6.0 if you wanted speed. No way the 7.3 will ever be as fast as a 6.0 without thousands of dollars in mods. That being said the 7.3 is like a draft horse, slow and powerful. You have a very solid motor that will pretty much pull what ever you have. That being said do all the above have said, freshen everything up: Oil and filter change (t6), fuel filter change and air filter and she should be good to go IF there is no problems. Good luck with her.

Last edited by NCDeerHunter; 08-08-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[quote=NCDeerHunter;6224082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmjt7109 View Post
1. Even with the 100hp program, truck seems like a turd compared to any of the other diesels I've owned-the 6.0 ford, the 5.9 dodge, and the LLY chevy. It's just slow. . .and the torque, in comparison, is disappointing pulling 12k lbs.

You cannot even compare the 7.3 to the 6.0 if you wanted speed. No way the 7.3 will ever be as fast as a 6.0 without thousands of dollars in mods. That being said the 7.3 is like a draft horse, slow and powerful. You have a very solid motor that will pretty much pull what ever you have. That being said do all the above have said, freshen everything up: Oil and filter change (t6), fuel filter change and air filter and she should be good to go IF there is no problems. Good luck with her.
I'd agree with you there!!! Thousands to make the 7.3 a little faster, or thousands to make the 6.0 dependable. . .I had 2 different 6.0's, and both were problematic from the start. When they ran, they were fantastic. I heard great things about the 7.3, and mine has a significant amount of miles. I'll attack the recommended fixes, hopefully starting this weekend. My biggest concern is the amount of black smoke. . . seems to be wasting lots of fuel! Thanks a bunch for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.